Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to check on the bees,and noticed one hive doing something I haven't seen yet(at least not this many bees).In front of the porch there must have been 500 bees just hovering about a foot from the entrance,also there was a lot of bees circling the hives,I didn't notice any fighting going on at the entrance,they were all just hovering there.This was about 5:30 pm and I've seen increased activity at this time mainly "play flights" and drones,but never this many bees.This is not the hive I posted a thread last week that the one lone queen cell but the one next to it.This morning at 10 am when I checked them,it was business as usual and all hives looked normal(if there is such a thing in beekeeping).Could this be caused by the heat?Because we broke records all over the state yesterday or could it possibly be some other reason.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds like normal afternoon orientation flights. You should see them nearly every day about the same time. As the colony grows, the queen will be increasing her output, laying 1000-1500 eggs per day. That'll translate to 1000-1500 new bees taking daily orientation flights.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
indypartridge said:
Sounds like normal afternoon orientation flights. You should see them nearly every day about the same time. As the colony grows, the queen will be increasing her output, laying 1000-1500 eggs per day. That'll translate to 1000-1500 new bees taking daily orientation flights.

That make sense because the hive was a 4 frame split started April 30th,and when I looked in on them last week there was a lot of capped brood.

I just went to check them again,and now the one that was busy yesterday is back to normal and now the 2 hives next to it are busy with a lot of bees flying in front and in back of both hives.

From what you're telling me is I must be doing something right :mrgreen: .

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Anybody who started just a few months ago (give or take) and has helped with a trap-out, a bee tree cut-out, and ends up with 5 hives sounds like someone who is doing something right :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts