One more thing..

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hobie, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

It has crossed my mind that the death of my bees may have something to do with the pesticide/herbicide crazy farm that is literally 50 ft or less from the hives.

How does one go about sending bees to Beltsville for testing?

2. rast

rast New Member

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed.

Not sure if my bees are fresh enough, but it's worth a shot.

4. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I used the Beltsville Lab for the first time this year. It's a great, free service, but I don't think I used it to it's full potential.

The report I got back just said that there was no Nosema present and a mite count of X in each of my samples. I had to write back to them to ask if they even checked for AFB or EFB (my main purpose)- they wrote back and said they found none. The mite count wasn't too useful for me because I didn't note the size of the samples I sent. A count of mites in an unknown number of bees doesn't tell me much (I hazarded a guess that it was a lot).

They do not test for pesticides at Beltsville; there may be other labs that do. They were very helpful when I spoke with them, and I think they'll try to run tests on whatever you can send. Just be specific what you ask for, and pay attention to the size of the samples you mail in.

-Dan

5. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Please let us know the results of the report either way. I never knew there was such a thing where we could send our bees to get tested.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

FYI, if shipping your bee sample via UPS, the mailing address given on the website above is incomplete, and UPS won't accept it. You have to add the street address "10300 Baltimore Blvd."

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Well, got the results from Beltsville.

They tested for Nosema, varroa, and tracheal mites, and found only 5 varroa mites. (Sample size was 100+ bees, but I took them off the SBB, so some mites may have fallen off.)

Testing for pesticides would cost me another $283, with no guarantee that what they test for is what the neighboring farm uses. Guess I'm out of luck.