Ooh! Ooh! Am I getting a swarm?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ibeelearning, May 8, 2013.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

So, I put a nuc box, a couple frames of drawn comb and a swarm lure out at the office (not the same site as my bees), just as a long shot.

Today, I saw a couple of bees playing around... and couldn't resist. I peaked inside, but only about a dozen bees, with a couple wrestling around on the floor with the swarm lure.:shock:

What was I seeing? Scout bees? Are they gonna go home and tell Big Mama? Am I gonna get some new tenants?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Scout bees. They will go home and tell mama, same as the scout bees checking out another half dozen pads. It all depends on which place they like best. Opening it and leaving human scent on it likely won't help.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

lemongrass oil is a plus, and a bit of comb

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Old brood combs work good in bait hives plus it needs to be a large enough cavity for them.

I have caught some large swarms that would not fit into a five frame nuc.

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

The scout bees will be checking out the hive from all angles. Keep watching ---- no touch. If a swarm comes during office hours you will see it. If a swarm arrives in your absence, then when you look again at the front you will see bees coming and going in normal hive activity.

Sometimes the scout activity will stop. They may have found a better home. Don't worry ----- there will be other swarms.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

6. Maryland Beekeeper

Maryland Beekeeper New Member

Ibee,
    Expect swarm 2 arrive within a week assuming good weather, perhaps set up cam 2 capture the event, it is impressive ! :) Good luck

7. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

ibee: I have been watching the same phenomenon here. One day it was one bee, then next it was three bees, watching them all week, all the way up to about 40 bees yesterday...I was getting excited, and had the video camera ready to go! Today....not a single bee. :cry: So bottom line....it's up to the bees!!! :lol: Hope it happens for ya!

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

img026.jpg I was looking through some very old pictures (from about 20 years ago) today and found this one of a swarm in the process of moving into a bait hive. With my youngest son looking on, I got things organized into a deep brood box so I could move them from my back yard in the evening.