Oops

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, May 24, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Take a tip from me... never EVER, under any circumstances, drop a frame in the middle of harvesting honey from a good strong hive... and for heaven's sakes, if you DO drop one, make sure it's not the one the queen is on. That cost me 3 stings, through the suit! :eek: And man oh man, you would've thought they were africanized if you'd seen them in the next hour or so. As for me, I hid out in the house, licking my wounds, which fortuneately for me, were covered in honey. :lol:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Only 3 stings. Whadda ya keepin'? Bees or flys. Heck, I kin get mor'en that just puttin' a super on.

:Dancing: :drinks:

3. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

He said through a jacket Idee not through the boxers!! :yahoo: I hope you at least wear something during that!!! There are so many pics of Iddee w/o a shirt on messin w/ bee's out there!

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

file this under... don't do this at home, even with adult supervision.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Normally if I drop a fram Kare gets the stings. I think she doesn't jump high enough or fast enough to get away.

I just flat threw a frame at a nuc box yesterday when one got under my veil and was running across my face. I didn't get the veil off fast enough and got stung under the chin when she got caught in the beard and was highly PIZZED.

:mrgreen: Al

6. Monie

Monie New Member

I need another cup of coffee. Al, I was trying to figure out if you were saying Kare got something caught in her beard, then I thought maybe she had her hand in a beard of bees...OH! I got it! The bee got caught in YOUR beard! HA! That didn't take me very long. :roll:

I've dropped a frame or two. The girls were less than pleased. SgtMjr, I think Iddee has something. You must be running flies. If I dropped a bomb...I mean frame, that's it for me (Cue "Ride of the Valkyries"). They'd be headbutting and shoulderbutting and buttbutting (stinging) me all the way back to the car! :lol:

7. Omie

Omie New Member

All kinds of frightening images in my mind! :eek: :mrgreen:

8. Monie

Monie New Member

LOL! As long as it's all in your head and not for real.

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

SgtMaj, your beekeeping life is just beginning. You have alot more to look forward to. I knbow what you mean and understand your perspective, but iddee is correct.

Now, if you had run that hive over w/ your pickup truck, ten I would really think you had something to write about. Not that I have ever done that myself. Right.

Did I tell you about the pallet of hives that flipped over onto the top of my Bobcat Skidsteer loader?

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or the row of hives that tipped off the back of a 5 ton truck... which then were run over by the bobcat trailer. a very efficient way of turning hive furniture into kindling.

it was a better incident to witness in a farmer's field than in town however.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yeah, they are still ticked off as all get-out at me... even took it out on my son today, he took one on the finger today and had 3 more pinging him all the way in the garage. Poor little guy, he took it pretty well though... only a couple minutes of crying... and to tell you the truth, I'm a little relieved because now I can put my greatest fear (that he'd be allergic) to rest. Now I know he's not, and he took it well. I didn't take it so well though, after getting him squared away I went out to the garage and killed every one of the bees still in the garage. I don't mind 'em coming after me, but they'd best learn not to mess with my son... lol. Actually, I'm a little concerned that I may have really screwed up this hive... they are acting like they are queenless now, and they had a young queen that hadn't started laying at the time I did that, so if they are queenless now, they are really screwed up to the point that I will have to step in to correct the situation... but I'll give it a couple of days and see if they calm down again first.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I hate to burst your bubble, but no one has ever had a reaction from their first sting. The first one sets the stage for the future. A reaction can come with any sting after the first, the 2nd, the 100th, or the 1000th, but never with the first one.

Medical fact.

PS. I hope your queen is all right.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it would be good to ABSOlUTELY KNOW but I have been told (by a former Vet) that building immunity requires about 25 days. If you (or some animal) gets a second sting prior to this immunity being developed you do run this risk of having a true allergic reaction.

if the new queen hasn't laid long enough to have some young brood in the nest they may act somewhat like they are queenless. a robber screen will also make the hive less jumpy and nervous no matter if the hive is queen right or not.