opps....that wasnt spose ta happen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Aug 23, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ok...i built my top feeder...looks n works great...put heavy syrup in to get em started building new comb (only reason im feeding) and all was well....my girlfriend came over an wanted to see how it worked with the screen bottom (i made it so i can change the feed without bees all over it)....well i picked up the FULL GALLON JAR of syrup about 6'' to show an the lid came off....kasploosh....2/3 rds of a gallon of syrup went strait down the hole....strait through the top cover and strait down all the comb underneth it....then out the front in a waterfall of liquid honeybees....i dont know but i think they were so happy they forgot to get mad...spose i wouldnt be to mad if it started raining french crullers....now i see them doing things they didnt do before...there is a hole drilled halfway up the hive body for an entrance...i plugged that with wax long ago an made em use the bottom...well they dug strait through it an made it an opening again....an there is alot of bees outside....has anybody ever done this an what happened ?????

2. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Never had that happen thank goodness !

Be sure the lids FIT and are screwed on TIGHT.

If it came off when you picked it up it was in all probility leaking/dripping into the hive before hand.

Murrell

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

2KD you may want to watch for an ant invasion now that's happened,won't take long for them to find all that syrup on the ground,maybe relocate the hive if they do.

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol....it wasnt good...i think what happened was i turned the bottle in the hole just before ...its a little snug...an it probly loosened it just enuff....i'll post a pic or two.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

opps-in ain't allowed here.

6. the kid

the kid New Member

hope you didn't flush the Queen out of the hive !!!!!!!!!

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Here is the opps just seconds before becomming an opps....literaly

Attached Files:

• 320.jpg
      320.jpg
      File size:
      445.5 KB
      Views:
    • 328.jpg
      328.jpg
      File size:
      457.6 KB
      Views:
  8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol....Tecumseh...if you coulda seen my face...looks like i know which hive gets opened this weekend huh....

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I can imagine. and thanks for the picture... I do enjoy the background shot of Florida... I miss that.

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

my girlfriend was rolling laughing....shock,shame an fear with dinner plate eyes she said....what ever that face looked like...i was waiting to get stung bigtime...like Idee said....thought my time was up an the bees were gonna school me on aireal combat manuvers....but they just buzzed for joy that thier ship had come in....pictures i got lots of.....anything inparticular ya wanna see ???

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

naw.... I just liked the background shot.

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

That was Pine Island in Hernando county....ever been there....its about 20 miles south of Chazahowitzka/Homosassa and just down the road from Weekie wachee springs....i defenantly want my bees there for the cabbage palm flow next year.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Pine Island... nope never been there. I did use to spend a lot of time up around Brooksville during my college days (working part time and holidays for one of the Lykes Brother's operations).

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Ahhhh....Brooksville is my home town...im there everyday...all my family lives there....they turned the Lykes house by the mines on old Fort Dade Rd into a museum now....i dont think its open to the public though....you problly wouldnt recognize brooksville anymore....its grown up alot :/

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Never heard of Brooksville? i may have relatives there.Hummm, maybe that's why they kept it a secret from me. :lol: Jack

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

most everybody has never heard of brooksville...Rast has been there many times probly...maybe Americas Bee keep an crackerbee an Tecumseh...its a sleepy little southern town about 70 miles north of tampa florida :|

17. rast

rast New Member

I'll be taking the truck route through it next Thursday (Good Lord willing) in the motor home to catch 98 to Chass. That 2 lane 90 degree turn onto 98 downtown is too hard to make. But I do like the Civil War mural downtown.
    Oh yeah, I'd ventilate that hive if it's not. Mold issues if they don't clean it quick.

18. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

yea...its a pain to drive through there now...i like the old section up town an the mural is cool...i have some pics of it somewhere...the truck route strait through to 98 is the way to go...about 6 miles south on 19 from the int. of 19 and 98 somebody had a bunch of hives set off in a turn around on the west side...i figure over a hundred hives at first...then they started dwindling away...guess whoever owned them was moving them someplace little by little....there probly gone by now and just before or after howards flea market on the east side there is a vacant lot a beek keeps hives....whatcha going to chass for ???

19. rast

rast New Member

Just getting away for a long weekend, camp & fish. Go there as often as I can, Got reservations there for a month in Dec/Jan.

Those hives have been in and out of there for several years.