Optimum height for langstroth beehive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Baxter, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Baxter

Baxter New Member

I'm setting up my first hive... I plan on using a cinder block base, capping it with pressure treated wood. My question is: what is the optimum minimum height I should set a langstroth hive at? My guess is 24" (3 courses of block) I'm 6'2"

Baxter

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Baxter, i'm 6'1" and my hives are about 14" off the ground. There are several things to consider (mostly your back) are you using deep, or med. for hives, deeps can get over 80 pounds and med, over 40 pounds. I'm not as strong as i use to be, so i don't like for them to get to high. 24 in. dosen't sound to high, but sometimes when lifting, 6" to 10" can make alot of difference. Jack

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I set mine on wooden pallets approx 6 inches tall. I run 2 deeps as the hive bodies and can kneel next to them and work them without any bending of the back even with a med. supper on them. Jim

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you have skunks in the area, it is best to have them 16 inch or higher. If you don't have skunks, 4 inch blocks are fine. I use mostly 8 inch because that's what I scrounged for free. Crossties work good, too, if not in a skunk area.

5. Tia

Tia New Member

All depends on your circumstance. Mine are 21" off the ground and Hurricane Isabel still managed to deposit 6" of flood water into them (all hives survived; they were smart enough to simply move up).

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i put mine on a single set of cinder blocks with little to no trouble. One thing to consider is how is your honey flow and how often you going to pull honey the taller they get the more top heavy they become

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I set 8" cinder blocks on the ground and put oak 4 x 4 timbers on top of them (of course this is all freeby stuff from job sites). I can get for to five hives set side by side on them.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Set the hive at a level comfortable for you to work.

9. milapostol

milapostol New Member

We have skunks too, so 16 inches at least for us. I've seen some kind of scratch marks on the sides of a hive, but the hive wasn't tipped over, so I was glad for the height.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

comfort is the key and in some places the honey flow encourages you to stack 'em high and some places not so high. at one time I had all my hives on pipe stands and the optimal height for me was 14" if I wanted to work the hives standing up and not kneeling.