Orange pollen in Dec?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hobie, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Well, granted we have been having some unseasonably warm weather (hope I didn't just jinx it!) but a local beek is reporting that his bees are bringing in loads of bright orange pollen. In Erie, in December! Any idea what it could be? The only things I see blooming are a few scraggly dandelions, some randon blooms on my broccoli, and a few on my sadly confused forsythia. Corn is dry in the fields, and most the leaves have fallen.

I myself have not seen this, but I am away for a week of training, so I have not been able to observe my bees.

Truthfully I suspect the good weather has something to do with the brand new Ariens snowblower sitting in my barn...

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an unexpected find of yellow pollen and a snow blower.... now that is an odd combinations.

i think there is some alien mischief afoot....

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Usually the last flower blooming in any decent amount in the northeast is wild aster...those little scruffy purple field flowers with yellow-orange centers and I 'think' bright yellow-orange pollen.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

aliens... it's just got to be aliens :mrgreen:

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

No, it's an "Ariens"...
    :lol:

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Yellow pollen: good
    Yellow snow: bad

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm seeing the same thing in South Jersey. Decent amounts of pollen are still coming in on the warmer days.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you got to remember that pollen will remain after the freeze. Even after the flowers drop to the ground. As long as there hasnt been a substantual amount of rain to wash the pollen away. Bees will continue to collect that pollen on nice days long after the first hard freeze. :thumbsup:

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

my girls are packing away golden rod and aster pollen, harvested some VERY dark, strong honey from a cut out I did about a month ago, while fresh little odor, but once jarred, and reopened :eek: :shock: --wow what a not so nice odor -- :thumbsup: should use it to chase the rats away. Suspect is goldenrod honey, haven't had it in many a year--my girlfriend loves it though. a bit acidic, and not overly sweet.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I just know that what 'the rat' wrote above is true but in my heart of hearts want to believe the yellow pollen and the snow blower is the work of aliens (yankees talk funny, so I guess ariens might be the proper term above the mason dixon line).