Ordered Bees!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jan 24, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Ordered bees today from http://www.abhoneyfarm.com/ They are only 55 miles North of me. That's good. Lady was very helpful. I was going to order a nuc but she stated that for newbies it would be better to get package bees so you can see how they develop comb and how the process starts from scratch. She did say I might want to start with two hives. I don't know.. With my lack of space and the initial cost for two hives its hard to decide. With my profession and my anal brother who loves wood working we are thinking about building my hives. Which will be a saving. So much to think about! :dash1:

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Congratulations on your order :D :D
    Go with two, you will learn more, and faster.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congrats, you're in.............................................deep! :shock: :lol:

First, I'm not sure I agree about the packages versus nuc debate, although what she says has some value. I would think that a couple of nucs are a more sure way of getting started along with the fact they are a little further on developmentally in a bee year. Starting with two is good advice, take it if you can.
    Secondly, build your own boxes, bottom boards, lids , etc. Even those with rudimentary skills can build many of these things (I did :eek: ). You will be surprised how forgiving the girls can be to those of us with two thumbs (I'm careful) in the woodworking dept.
    Do not waste your time trying to build frames, nay-nay, tis not worth the time or effort. The only person I have seen that can do this at an acceptable level is member Bens Bees.

The most important thing you have just done is..........................

Made your first decision and got started! :clapping:

Hold on to your wallet for dear life, tis a rough road ahead! :lol:

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Being a newbee myself ,I agree with Marbees,go with at least 2,if you can squeeze in a third that's even better,gives you more to compare with. :thumbsup:

My guess is by this time next year you'll have more than 2 :mrgreen:

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sounds like you're getting off to a good start.
    I have to agree with everyone else, start with (at least) 2 hives for comparison. Since you already have a package ordered, you could order a nuc for your second. That will give you even more to compare.
    Building your own woodenware is a great idea, however, check prices before you get too far into it. If you buy the wood off the shelf-you may end up paying as much, or more, than if you buy your stuff pre-cut. The "cull" pile at your local lumber yard and home store is a good place, and the scrap pile at construction sites is another good place to get lumber. As Perrybee said, buying frames is a lot easier. Apple Blossom has 100 deep frames for $69.00.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I agree with Perrybee on buying the frames. I work for a fairly good size contractor so wood should be easy to obtain. I am leaning more to 2 hives. The problem is that I'm going to drop a butt load of money! It's already $85 for a package. A nuc is $135! Add ALL that a newbie needs and cha-ching!!

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Is this right? To start I need for on hive is 2 deeps and 2 supers? Newbie kits show one each. If I need 2 of each do they need to be bought at the same time or only when needed as honey is filled.

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

For a package start with 1 deep. Then when 80% of that deep is full of wax and bees add another deep. If they fill that box add a super and provide the # for your bee supplier because them some hard workin' bees and I want some! lol

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

If you start with either pkgs or nucs, you will only need the deeps, will take two - three months before the deeps will have filled out 10 frames---- 80% full then only need to add a super.

So you can tailor the cashflow somewhat.

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

You won't need the supers right away, you may not be able to harvest anything the first year without starving the bees next winter.
    You can start out with 1 deep per hive, but keep a close eye on them. When they have the bottom box 70 to 80% drawn out, it's time to add another box. I have 2 deeps for brood, and I use mediums for honey supers. Some folks advocate using all one size, either deeps or mediums. If you use all deeps-a deep full of capped honey is HEAVY. If you choose to go with all mediums, 3 for brood and the rest for honey.
    As you are finding out, it is a bit expensive to get started, but most everything can be used year after year.

11. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I got my bees from the same supplier. They are very helpful there. Get two hives as I had one lose their queen too late in the season to re-queen. I combined the hives and they thrived. I ended up with a fair amount of honey but some was tainted by SHBs. As of Friday the hive is still heavy and looking good. :wave:

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

:roll: expensive must be a relative thing?

there are plus and minus to both packages and nucs. I would say (and lookin' way back into my own history) a package the first time you successfully install one of these (and there is nothin' the least bit difficult about that) is a bit like magic to watch a small handful of bee grow into a full sized hive. imho... everyone should do that at least once.

13. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I would say , go with a package and a Nuc. You will get to see a hive start from just bees and a box, and with a Nuc you can watch a started hive mature into full blown colany. As far as space for more than one hive if you have room to toss down a wooden pallet then you have room for 4 hives :D . If you buy a Nuc is it a deep or Medium? that will dictate what hive body(s) you will need for it and the use the same for the package as it will make swapping frames around easy if you need to. Start building your boxs now, don't wait. If you build one box a month then by the time you get your bees you will be set to start out, ALWAYS HAVE MORE WOODEN WARE than you THINK you need. To many boxs/frames is like to much money in your pocket.... there ain't no such thing. Jim

14. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

That is good to hear! Well, I'm going to do it. Will call and order a nuc. Maybe change my order to 2 nucs. Who knows! Did go tonight to Purdue University and bought "The Beekeeper's Bible" Looking forward to reading.

15. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I hate to tell you, buddy, but you're addicted. :rotfl: Just like the rest of us.

16. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Yep another one comes over to the sweet side, and soon will be worring about bugs 24/7 365 Its kinda funny that some people IF they have bugs and other people worry if the bugs are ok. Jim

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well one thing to consider is if you are going the package route order these early. people will make up nucs all thru the season but packages in recent times have always been in short supply. ordering early also gets you on the front side of the list which with a package is a definite +.

we are perhaps a bit late on this one but we (meaning the forum) should compose a list of question a new bee keeper should pose to which ever supplier he might be considering..

like...
    1) how do you treat bees for varroa?
    2) are bees in the package fed fumidil?
    3) is the nuc from which the queen is reared fed fumidil?
    4) what is the origin of bees and queen in the package?

members please add other questions...

19. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

welcome to the madness crazy8 :Dancing: now that your in just wait till you do your 1st split or raise a queen, you will wanna quit your day job and sit in the yard all day ( I know I do) :yahoo: 2 or more hives is the way to start if you can, hives are just like people, no 2 are alike, you will learn so much from watching 2 rather then 1.

20. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Waiting call back from Apple blossom Honey Farm to call back. Changing order to nucs. They are saying package bees pickup is April. Nucs in June. Is that normal?