Orientation Flights

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

I understand that orientation flights usually take place between 2 and 4 pm. Is it possible for all four of my hives to be having an orientation flight at the same time? It looks like orientation; just hovering around the front of the hive; some sitting on the hive. . .but it's all four hives at once! Very noisy and impressive, I must say.

The only disconcerting thing is that right by the entrance gate to the apiary, about 10 feet from the hives, there are about 6 or 8 bees on the ground with apparent deformed wing virus! I haven't had much trouble with varroa these past years--3 to 5 mites on a 48 hr sticky board count--but it looks like I'd better do some FGMO fogging again. I've been neglecting the varroa aspect because of the shb problem! I guess I'll have to juggle the two of them.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you had rain for a couple days, it's likely they waited until a sunny day, so, yes, more than one may fly at the same time. Also, if you had rain for 3 or more days, even the old bees may be re-orientating.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Tia writes:
    Is it possible for all four of my hives to be having an orientation flight at the same time? It looks like orientation; just hovering around the front of the hive; some sitting on the hive. . .but it's all four hives at once!

tecumseh:
    it seems to be quite common here.

4. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks. It rained like the dickens the day before and into Sunday. Then it was cloudy until just about the time the bees started up! So I'm sure that's the answer. Should've thought of it myself. Thanks for responding.