Our 1st Bee Tree

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bitty Bee, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We got our first bee tree today!!!! (Some of the pictures will be crooked, sorry. I couldn't get the code to show the rotated ones. And I apologize for them being so big. I don't know how to fix that yet.)
    Cutting it down went great. The bees behaved themselves and we only had two stings.

[​IMG]

We're not sure yet what kind of tree it was, but it needed to come down anyway

[​IMG]

There was alot of activity and all the girls looked healthy so I'm fairly certain they will be a great addition to our mini-apiary.

[​IMG]

Little man did the prep work.

[​IMG]

This was a better picture of their entrance. All the brush had been cleared by now.

[​IMG]

So we blocked them in with some sort of old screen.

[​IMG]

Then daddy worked his chainsaw magic!

[​IMG]

Daddy did all the hard work. Isn't he sweet?

[​IMG]

Then we all pulled together to get the the other piece of plywood on and the log up right.
    This tree was a little over 24in. in diameter and the portion housing the bees was a little over 4ft. long. We're going to move it to our bee yard tomorrow and then finish preparing for all this weather Earl is bringing us.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Absolutely wonderful! :clapping:

One thing, from the photos it appears "Little Man" is in need of a new name...something like "Big Guy" or "Mongo" or something. :D

I wish I could cut a tree as straight as your dad did. Mine are always crooked. Maybe you could come to Texas...

Walt

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good job. I'm sure little monkey, er, I mean man, had a ball climbing up and clearing the brush.
    As Walt said, nice straight cut and the stump is sitting straight. When you take it home, be sure the entrance is facing the same way it was in the tree. IE: South, Southeast, however it was in the tree.

4. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Walt, you should see XLB. He's bigger than daddy!

We all had a good time. I'm ready to go do it again! But daddy overheated himself a little. We were trying to get done in a hurry so dad could get to work on time. He was still a little late since he had to sit and cool down, but he likes having a bee tree!
    The man who owns the property is going to help us move it tomorrow. It is too heavy to lift so he said he would help us with some sort of equipment he has.

I will remember that Idee. They were facing south west.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like you guys did a great job on getting it cut down and plywood on the ends. I think trees are a blast and like them better than a house cut out any day. If you need to feed them cut a 2 3/4" hole in the top piece of plywood and a mason jar will fit in it snuggly.

I hope they will make it through the winter for you.

6. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We, or daddy and the boys, moved the hunk of tree into our yard today! It's about 20 or 25 feet from our hives. Daddy put it next to a tree so he could tie it up if he needed to. It doesn't sit quite level now, but that's because of the ground. I told daddy about y'alls compliments. He said that It's not him, it's the saw. He just happened to have a good one!
    G3, how do you know if you need to feed them?

I love our bee tree. I took more pictures just for kicks! We hadn't taken the screen off from moving them yet, so you can still see it.
    Here's me
    [​IMG]
    Here's XLB
    [​IMG]

I asked daddy how much he thought it weighed. He estimated it to be 4-500 pounds.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOW that is a huge chunk of tree, please be careful around it. If that was to fall on someone it would break their leg. I think I would nail a couple of props on the side of it.

Just have XLB pick it up every now and then to see if there is enough stores inside, just like you would a lang hive!! :lol: :lol: :shock:

Not sure how you would actually know for sure, but it could not hurt to feed them some.

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We'll be feeding them soon just because I would hate to not do it and then find out they had been hungry.

That is a big piece of tree to be sure!! The bees seem to be extremely calm bees though. In the pics with the kids you can see a chain around a big old oak tree in the back, that chain is to go around both trees and hold the bee tree in case the kids get clumsy (happens ALL the time) to keep them from getting seriously hurt.

LOL @ G3!!! XLB stands for Xtra Large Boy dontcha know! At not quite 14 he was 6'1" and 180 lbs. He has fun tormenting his big brother to see if he's bigger than him yet (he isn't, but getting close).

WaltB, we do need a new name for Little Man, but one hasn't grabbed us yet. I'm sure that soon enough it will. He's only a few inches behind XLB now.

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

There has been quite a bit of discussion and some of it a little bit loud-er than normal. Some of us want to just cut the bees out of the tree this spring, but others here would rather try to do a trap out since they've not done one yet. So wonderful band of happy, winter weary beekeepers... what do y'all think? Which would you do and why? Please describe your best and worst case scenarios for us.

p.s. I still just LOVE looking at those pictures! I'm thinking of making the one of BB into one of her senior year pictures for her graduation book.

10. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

I would do the trap out. Mostly because it is a wonderful learning oppertunity. At home and easy to check you can learn a lot from it. If at the end of the trap out you want to cut it open and save the comb you still could. I guess if you wanted to do half a trap out you could possibly begin one get a hive started from it then perhaps still save the genetics?

Wow. Doesn't look loke I am much help does it?

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

actually, you may be on to something Charla! I might have an idea...

12. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

glad to throw out some ideas. :)

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Charla that sounds like a good idea to me also. Start a trap out and get a hive up and going then remove the cone to let them build back up again, might even get a second or third hive off of them. Could even feed them, cut a hole in the top piece of ply wood for a quart jar feeder.

14. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Sounds like a fun idea to me. They can learn to do a trap out and make a split all at the same time!

15. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

Mama Beek, I think your idea of using WBB's pic as one of her Senior pics is a wonderful idea! She is so pretty, and that natural setting couldn't be improved on by any photography studio.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't count your chicks before they hatch. My bee tree wasn't flying today. If not tomorrow, they are gone. They were flying before this last cold spell.

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I lost two bee trees last year, one was my fault and the other just died out for some reason.