Our Bee Plans Grew!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crofter, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Over Last winter talk about raising bees resulted in plans for two or three hives. A friend of my son heard about it and said he worked bees with his uncle as a teen and could he put a hive on the farm too. Grampa (me) decided he should have a hive or two as well and the grand daughter wanted her own hive. One of my hives planned to swarm so we did a split. Next thing the friend captured a swarm so another box of bees. My son set about producing some new queens trying out the Cloake Board and that has resulted some more nucs. Things will soon need a bit of organizing! Grand daughter and her friends are the painters.

We have already taken approx. 100 lbs honey and things look good for a further harvest around Labor Day. We have been blessed with good rainfall and it has been a good experience. Hope we can manage overwintering as well as the summer has been.

[attachment=1:12uzr1y0]First Honey.JPG[/attachment:12uzr1y0][attachment=0:12uzr1y0]Elect Fence.JPG[/attachment:12uzr1y0]

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That sure is some good looking honey!!

Keeping bees is so addictive!

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

:goodpost:

Thanks for making it. It says a lot about the habit, er, hobby.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Iddee I was goin to put the good post sign up on this one when it first hit the forum. But was in a hurry to go deliver parts oh well going to do it anyway guess great minds think alike :coolphotos: :goodpost: there I one upped ya

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Overwhelming! As the British say: Carry On!

Did you put up that fence after reading the thread on "liability issues"?
    It's really cool.

6. Crofter

Crofter New Member

The fence is my sons handiwork but I have needed my corn patch electric fenced for years for bears and racoons. An acquaintance had his shed door torn off by a bear that destroyed all his extracted honey supers; we had no illusions about taking a chance on Winnie the Pooh!

The danger sign came with the charger but I expect the bears will have to find out the hard way! Lol!

It is nice to know there are folks here on the forum with years of experience to call on if we get into troubles. In the picture below I am sneaking back in to retrieve a box of empty frames I left behind. I suit up totally to work them so this is just a macho photo shot!

[attachment=0:2hlrctd4]Faking It.JPG[/attachment:2hlrctd4]

Attached Files: