Our first Bee Tree of the Year.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by onehorse, Mar 27, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Well, I don't know if they are going to make it in a standard hive or not. They are a very small cluster, maybe the size of my fists. And I am not sure if we killed the queen or not, thought I had smooshed her, but then she started moving a bit. The attendees started tending to her, but it took her a while to disappear from where we put her on top of the frames in the hive. Amazingly, they were doing okay in the tree, but they had the option of coming with us and giving survival a chance or being killed when they hauled the tree off to the lumber mill, but we learned a lot about the bees this tree.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All you can do is try. We will never win them all.

Yes, a nuc box or ob hive would be better.

3. rast

rast New Member

I did keep one alive that a tree trimming company had thrown most of in their mulcher, finaly put orange combs around and left for the day. I saw em (the bees) in the street on my lunch hour. Came back and got what was left, only a frame's worth or two with a grass shrimp dip net on my head. I had to requeen, they're in one of these boxes somewhere.

"All you can do is try. We will never win them all."

Oh Yeah, I have another one that started extremely small that is at a neighbors for his spring garden pollination. I always forget about it cause I kinda/sorta gave it to him after I thought it would live. I just keep it alive for him.

4. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Now, here's the question. We are going to check on them, this weekend, it's suppose to be nice, sunny, warm, etc. I popped the lid, and there seems to be more bees then I first thought, but they are a little cranky, I didn't smoke them, they came at me, but I didn't get stung (that's a first!). At what point do you spend the $20 for a queen to see if they can pull it together, if there isn't one?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

7 days, then if no eggs, combine with another hive.

6. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Hi Iddee,

Right now, I don't have another hive, nothing made it through the winter well enough to call a hive. I have packages coming in, 1 shipping on April 12, should arrive around April 14, others delivered between April 14 and 21. This might seem like a dumb question, but how would I combine these bees with a new package, so they don't fight and kill the queen? There are just enough bees in this hive to cause a problem if they want to. Let the package get a head start and then shake these guys in the front entrance? Can I put the package in the same hive with these guys or drop the workers from the package at the front entrance to this hive after putting the queen in this hive? I just want to be careful as to them not fighting and killing the queen, as it's early in the season yet and queens are still a bit of a premium.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Installing a package is introducing a queen to strange bees, The queen you get will not be the mother of the package bees. That's why you keep her caged in the hive for a few days. Just install her between the frames and dump the bees in on top the tree bees. It will give them a good boost.

Just do a last minute check for eggs and larva before the install. You may have a latent queen that starts laying after the 7 day check. Although doubtful, it can happen.

8. onehorse

onehorse New Member

We got brood! Be it not much, but it's there, eggs, young larva, laid at the bottom of the cells in a 4" X 4" patch. I'm surprised the queen made it. We didn't see her, just her work.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Congrats. Thanks for the update.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you have a winner going on there. Bee trees are always a fun challenge.

G3