over winter a hive on top of another one

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by addam, Oct 13, 2013.

1. addam

addam New Member

Hi every body,

What do you think about overwintering a one deep hive on top of another one that is stronger?
    How to separate the two hives? Will a simple wire screen that will not let the bees move from a hive to another enough?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A double screen is the normal procedure. Two queens can fight through a single screen.

3. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

A solid piece of 1/4" plywood might be a better option than a screen. That will allow heat to rise but exclude moisture.

4. addam

addam New Member

Just a newbie question: Is there a risk that the bees of one colony will 'migrate' to the other colony and let the queen alone?

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would use a double screen set up. 1/4 plywood may create condensation problems for the bottom hive. It will not let heat rise unrestricted. I would have the hive entrances rotated 180 degrees from each other to help with bees drifting to the other hive

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

So are we saying something like a Snelgrove, or just an inner cover with double screen over the hole?

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would use a double screen board. Just the rim and a layer of screen on each side.1/2 or 3/4 in. thick. An inner lid or snelgrove would restrict the heat.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

You can't use anything with an opening large enough for bees to pass througg

9. Ray

Ray Member

What are you going to do to check the bottom hive? The bottom hive will need plenty of extra stores, it'll be heating for two :) .
    ​Have you thought about sandwiching it between two hives?

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Actually you shouldn't be doing inspection in the winter. As for heating for 2 hives. In theory the stronger bottom hive will generate the same amount of heat they don't know the other cluster is above them. Heat rises so excess heat will drift up and help keep the smaller cluster warm. It sounds good in theory, however, I don't recall any scientific studies that supports it makes a measurable amount of difference

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

EVERYTHING that Riverrat said!

if you have none I would suggest you build a set of double screens. you don't use them a lot but when you need one they are extremely handy. you can use either wire window screen or 1/8" galvanize wire for the screen material. after a bit of use a hive will propolis the window screen so it will at least appear somewhat solid (but none the less should allow heat thru). <at least one fellow I know use the propolis 'window screen' version of these for cloake boards to produce large number of queen cells in the spring time.