Overwintering 5 frame nucs

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

I have a few questions regarding overwintering nucs (5 frames):

1. Depending on your location - how often do you have to add feed to them?

2. What do you add when you have to feed them overwinter?

Thanks.

Mike

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i have had great success over wintering nucs I use a 5 on 5 configuration using 2 5 frame nuc boxes I feed them up until they have the top nuc full and leave them to over winter in the spring I will feed a little to get them started then split

3. Tyro

Tyro Member

Rat,

That is actually my configuration as well. In fact, I have two variations on that theme:

Configuration 1. I have standard 10 frame hive bodies that I have divided in half - one nuc on each side. They have a second, divided deep on top of them (which they are presently filling with honey). This makes for two 5-over-5 nucs in a single hive. I have 4 nucs this way.

Configuration 2. I have four, standard 5 frame nuc boxes that I have built '2nd stories' on. This results in the same 5-over-5 setup. I have four nucs this way as well (all next to one another).

My plan is to keep them all at 3-4 frames of bees/brood with the rest as honey until they cluster for winter. Trouble is, my winter is LONG (April is a winter month here). So I am expecting that sometime in March (at the latest), I am going to have to start feeding them. What is the best way to do this in terms of method and feed?

Mike

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I'm going to put a candy board at the top of mine. I also have some that will be two 5 frame nucs stacked. Others will be single 5 frame nucs