Overwintering in Michigan???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by queen_bee09, Nov 6, 2010.

1. queen_bee09

queen_bee09 New Member

So, long story short, we had 10 hives that got split in July to make a total of 23. Then we caught a swarm in late July or early August. We lost a hive (we're not sure why yet) so now we have 23 again. About half of them are still single-story deeps. At each inspection, they weren't built up enough to add another deep. So my question, oh wise beekeeping friends, is what to do now. Should we attempt to feed to build up winter stores and try to winter them in one deep? Combine them and re-split in the sprng? Or we had the thought of possibly taking 2 small hives and combining them for while, and then reducing both hives into a single story again using the stores from both hives to fill the deep. So that 2 hives worth of bees will be in one box with a deep full of stores. We do plan on wrapping them with tar paper and adding grease patties, and possibly pollen patties mixed with nozevit for good measure. We have a couple of 60 degree days coming up where we plan on hunkering them down. But we're still baffled as to what to do. Any advice is very much needed and greatly apprecitated. Thanks!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm not from Michigan, but I would try to winter in 2 deeps if I were. Combining is the easiest way to do that.

3. camero7

camero7 Member

I'd put candy boards on them, wrap them and recheck them in Feb. Might need to add some candy or sugar then.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

somebody is missing Al's input.

what is the weight of the singles?

have you consider not combining but stacking using double screens?