Oxalic Acid Residue In Honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Marbees, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Marbees

Marbees Member

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

will have to research never heard of that as a treatment of varroa or anything else for that matter

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have never used oxalic in the dribble form but some time ago did play around with the use of oxalic vapor/gas. since it is naturally occurring in honey it is sometimes consider to be a 'natural' varroa treatment. the gas form is extremely hazardous to the bee keeper, so some gear and doing things in just the right manner is essential. some problems with oxalic in the dribble form and queen acceptability were reported when folks first begin using oxalic in this manner. I never heard of folks having queen problem when oxalic was used as a gas (may have happened, but just do not recall this being reported).

guessing here for certain> the oxalic use for dribble and gas purposes is quite unstable and therefore deteriorates quickly. the natural form (oxalic is a precursor to vitamin C... or so I have been told) likely oxidize very slowly. a lot of times this difference is associated with just slight variation in the physical structure of a compound and is why some natural product may be more bioliogically active than a similar compound that are man made. a compound may look the same and have the same name but this does not mean that they react in the same manner.

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

You may check this http://scientificbeekeeping.com/the-lea ... miticides/
    I used "weak" solution on my broodles hives last Saturday
    It's once a year treatment. It's organic and for the last 20 years used in Europe with the great success.
    I'll see in the spring how it worked for my bees.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Randy has lots of good stuff there. Excellent link marbees.

perhaps in your looking around Randy's site marbees your might wish to consider... Randy had an article this past summer in the abj on computer modeling for varroa in a honey bee hive that I think every bee keeper who has any concerns about this problem should read. i don't recall the title of the article although I could well look it up if necessary?

6. Marbees

Marbees Member