Package Bees / Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by volt, May 11, 2013.

1. volt

volt New Member

I decided to add a second hive to my inherited hive and have a package coming tomorrow. One problem... The weather here stinks. It's supposed to freeze (31 degrees) Monday night. Any steps I should take to help them along?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Check your weather again. It is now saying 39 for a low Monday night. By the time it gets here, it may be in the 40's.

Install them when they get here and put feed on them. They will be fine.

3. volt

volt New Member

I'm actually in Radfod VA so its a bit colder here than Roanoke but you are right, the forecast has changed for the warmer! Should I throw a frame from my exisiting hive into the new one or just leave well enough alone. Thanks and I'll make sure to keep them fed!

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Do not break the seal on the old hive. The propolis has it air tight. Don't break it open. Let the package go on it's own. Better to lose one than both.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Any steps I should take to help them along?

tecumseh...
    a bit late but here is another approach...

keep package in a warm dark place. you can help keep them going by adding a bit of water and syrup in the form of spray on the wire of the package a couple of times a day. the largest danger is for the syrup can to run dry <you should be able to lift the can just a bit to see if it is or is not empty. if empty with a bit of patience you can refill the can with a bit of syrup (1 to 1 should work just fine)... first turn the package upside down while holding the can in place so it doesn't fall out. set on a table or flat surface and leave it there for perhaps a half an hour... the cluster of bees will slowly reestablish themselves from the top to the bottom of the package.. slide the package to one side and allow the syrup can to fall out... refill the can... place the feed can back in it's hole and flip the package back over. a small bit of cardboard is useful if you think you need to cover the hole while refilling and replacing the can although I usually just slide the package back and forth using the flat table top to cover the hole.

6. volt

volt New Member

I installed the package with no issue today. Ultimately I took the advice of the professor that sold me the package. Hoping for the best... We have a freeze warning tonight. Two questions... When do I go back into the hive to inspect and how do I space the frames properly? .. using a 10 frame med.super. thanks!