Package Bees versus Nucs

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Propolis048, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Propolis048

Propolis048 New Member

Anyone know if there is any advantage or disadvantage in buying nucs versus package bees. Would love to hear everyones views. Cheers

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Nuc's, they cost a little more but you should have a laying queen with some brood and two or three frames of drawn comb. A package, you have to introduce the queen,wait two weeks to see if they accepted her and if they have drawn brood comb and the queen is laying. You will have to feed one to one syrup to either one, but the nuc will give you a head start. Good luck. Jack

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nucs have a 30 day headstart. Packages have less chance of bringing in disease, Nucs give a newbee a better chance to learn what the inside of a hive looks like. Packages can be shipped easier.

No facts here, just opinions.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Up here most folks go with nucs. I don't know of anyone that brings in packages (matter of fact, I don't believe it's legal, Nova Scotia does not allow the importation of honey bees, queens only). I don't know your laws in Ontario.
    Nucs are the way to go, for the reasons mentioned above by Jack and Iddee!

5. hankdog1

hankdog1 New Member

One thing is you can see what your getting with a nuc. Since the queen is already laying you should be able to tell what kind of brood pattern she is laying also. Been my experience buying packages is like buying a pig in a poke.

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have to admit I have never bought a package. All I have ever picked up was nucs and over the last few years I have not bought any of them. Opting instead to make splits from my existing hives and picking up swarms for increases