Package to a Deadout Hive Question...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, May 8, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Sunday I am getting a package of bees and a Queen for my deadout hive. It currently has 2 deeps and the top deep has a lot of honey.

Do I take the top deep off and shake in the bees and hang the queen in the lower deep and put the top deep back on?

Leave the top deep off?

OR just install them and the queen in the top deep?

2. pturley

pturley New Member

Remove the top deep, add the bees and queen to the lower, then reset the top deep. Not only will they have a tremendous head-start over and bare installation, you'll have an effective honey-cap (likely no need for a queen excluder).

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What is a lot of honey. If it is less than 5 fully capped frames, I would put the bottom deep in the garage for a couple weeks. If it is 8 to 10 fully capped frames, I would do as Paul said.

4. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I think only the 2 middle frames didnt have frame full the rest all did...

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

don considering your last reply, and advice by paul and iddee, i would do what paul said:
    " Not only will they have a tremendous head-start over and bare installation, you'll have an effective honey-cap (likely no need for a queen excluder)."

and you will not have to feed the package syrup.

6. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok that was my best guess at what to do...I'm getting good at this Beekeeping thing, LOL!:thumbsup: