Packages installed

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Synth, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Synth

Synth New Member

My wife contacted me from Gimli today; the 4 packages are in. One of the queens was dead and she had to go all the way to Winnipeg to get a replacement. But they are in.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You got the wife to install packages??

When are you going to get you some bees now?:lol:

i thought your bee season was winding down for the year, better feed them up really good.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Gimli Manitoba, Canada G3:

Synth is in Australia and they are moving to Gimli.
    Gimli is famous for the Jet airliner that was out of fuel and Glided to safety at an abandoned airstrip (no hydraulics or power) It's an interesting story, much like the Hudson River flight.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

AHHHHH! now I see said the geography challenged hill billy :grin: (thanks for the lesson Perry)

she is just getting started then, still need to feed them though.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A Canadian airliner ran out of fuel because they could not figure out the metric system HUMMMMM:lol:

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Glad they are in and all well, thanks to the wife :)

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Good for her! My wife was very brave the day I first introduced mine...no bee suit...I was fully decked out though...ha!

8. Synth

Synth New Member

Got another email. The queens have escaped from 2 of the 4 cages. In one the cage had fallen and she didn't want to start removing frames. But in the 4th the queen was dead in the cage, that's the one that had to get the replacement queen. 3 hives had eaten the sugar, the 4th had hardly touched it. The 4th hive wasn't doing too good, I suggested combining it with one of the others.
    She did give them all more 2:1 sugar/water syrup. She only half filled the pails as she didn't want to lift a full one. I don't think that was a good idea. I suspect that a half full pail will have too much air and won't be able to form a good vacuum. Has anyone tried this; is it a bad idea or a good one?
    I leave WA on Thursday night and will be in Canada on Friday afternoon (one of those mad flights across the Pacific that lands 3 hours before it takes off). I should be able to have a look at them on Friday evening.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With a half bucket, a few drops will spill out, then a vacuum will be created. The bees will clean it up quickly, so all will be fine.

10. Omie

Omie New Member

My advice is to not be too hasty about combining the weak one- some packages and queens take a coupel weeks to get up and running, then they are fine. If they have a live queen, then look for eggs or new brood in a couple of weeks.
    Sounds like your wife is a winner!

11. Synth

Synth New Member

This hive's queen died while still in the cage. We could move a frame (with eggs) from one of the other hives, but there are not many bees left, possibly too few to raise a queen. Also the other 3 hives are only just getting established. I am afraid I may end up weakening the donor hive.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

Hi Synth, you have a queenless package your wife hived into regular equipment. The queen was dead in the cage, so therefore, there was no laying queen, so no eggs or larvae in the hive for the bees to even raise a queen from. They don’t have the ‘supplies’ to do so. I would guess your queenless bees, especially from a package, may also, and will drift to one of your queen right hives, and what is remaining is a weak hive, may develop a laying worker, or just dwindle completely.

I would be inclined to divide the remaining bees equally into your 3 queenright colonies.

I was abit confused though, about the queen dead in the cage, I thought in an earlier post you said your wife drove to Winnipeg to obtain a replacement queen?

whoops, sorry, just re read, i don't think i would take a frame of brood from a new hive to give the queenless hive, as you said, may not be enough bees to raise a new queen.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. Omie

Omie New Member

I was confused too when you said your wife drove to get a replacement queen for the one that died. ??