Padgening

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Barry Tolson, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

From time to time I engage in padgening to help bolster colonies that need some help, or to try to equalize the populations of colonies at one general location.

Sometimes I switch locations just once and leave them the rest of the season. Sometimes I'll rotate them again after a day or a week...depending on how they are doing.

This got me to wondering how prevalent this practice is among the membership here...and for those who do padgening, what have their experiences been and have they found it to be helpful?

2. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Sounds kinda like a nervous condition my ex-wife had, she could never leave a piece of furniture in the same place for over a week !! :shock:

Since I'm 70 years old when that hive is down it's there forever.

Murrell

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

We considered some of the implications of hive positioning when making a split as hive was about to swarm. Not sure now whether queen and bees swarmed out of the new box or not but she has been superceded and new queen finally laying; seemed to take a long while. Different hive positioning as per "Pagden" methods could have an effect on how the foragers and young bees divvy up. I wonder if people use similar techniques without putting that name on it.

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Never new there was a name for it. I move pallets of nucs sometimes to get them somewhere else in my yard, eventually. And, sometimes I will make a split to another corner on a pallet. But I don't do much switching to boost colony strength.

If I were to do that, I would switch and leave. What is therte to gain by switching places one day and then back soon afterward?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a new term for this old dog. I never heard it call that before.

like all thinks bee this should be done within some boundaries... that is you would not want to change position of a very poorly populated 4 frame nuc with a booming 2 or 3 story hive (<just the idea of moving one of these simply to level out the population does make my back hurt).