Paint

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kemptville, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Morning

What kind of paint should I be using to paint my hives? I'd hate to poison my bees :-(

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Most go with a latex paint (easy cleanup) A lot of the paint companies are starting to do away with oil based paints so it will be harder to find. Look for mistints at the paint store. There won't be much there yet as exterior painting hasn't started up here yet but when it does there are some good bargains to be had. If you have a particular colour in mind just get it off the shelf.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Go to yard sales, many will give paint away to get rid of it.

Your only painting the outside of the hive, makes no difference the type of paint, just let it dry and air out real good.

OK, I'm cheap.

Murrell

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

County dumps give away paint where you turn in HAZMAT also. Dry them real good in full sun and it will never matter. Gloss is best, followed by semi-gloss. That is why they are used in kitchens, bathrooms and door jambs where they get the most abuse.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ironically, I am going to get some paint tomorrow to paint some newly constructed hives. I use outdoor semi-gloss. I believe in good paint no matter what. It covers better and easier and doesn't stink as bad. Always two coats. Perry, great reminder to look at the goof pile. I wouldn't have remembered to look there first had you not mentioned it. I want to paint this round of honey supers some tint of yellow for fun.

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

I have had better luck at Lowes than Home Depot at finding miss-tents. But that may be just local.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Home despot seems to hide the mistints, had to go asking and they led me around the corner from the paint section, Lowes is is right by the mixing guys, they even marked down a 5 gallon for me that was there. I moaned that a gallon was $5, why isn't 5 gal even cheaper ( was marked $30) as the paint is typically cheaper in bulk, so she laughed and took another $5 off making it only $25.

Sherwin Williams is even better for rejects I have heard, need to go ask my guys down the road.

8. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Thx for the information. Does it need to be water-based or can oil-base be used?

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Oil-based can be used, just give it a little extra time to air out.

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got some of this fence and barn paint at Lowes. They didn't have any culls when I was there last, and this seems to work ok.

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That should work well. I didn't find any culls at Lowes and Home Depot but they were all interior paints as I suspect is the case most often.

12. jim314

jim314 New Member

Good alternative to the mistints Slowmodem. Almost as cheap too.

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i use hd's behr brand deck and fence stain, it is water based. prime first, then stain on new equipment, old equipment, clean up, recoat. easy clean up. it does not crack or peel. i also use goofs or mis-mixed paint on supers, you have to ask where they hide it, but all paint stores have them.