Painting hive bodies

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Charles, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

What's your preference when painting the outsides of new boxes? Water based or oil based?

2. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I use cedar wood, and apply Clear Coat . That's becuae I have a good supplier of cheap, well-cut boards that are real inches thick---not nominal. I try to build with it by my own preferance, becuase of it's pretty grain mainly. The sun still whitens the wood some, but the grain still shows.

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I suspect you will be getting replies from nothing everything imaginable. :D

I use the least expensive water based outside paint I can find. I have the time (my wife paints them) and they are visible to our neighbors as they drive by, so I want a good appearance. That may change as hives increase. ;)

Walt

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just the water base, check out home cheapo or slowes for some custom color mix that got mixed wrong or not picked up. These usually go for cheap just to get rid of them. Nobody said hives have to be white.

G3

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

We use stain we buy at Home Depot as miss mixed. It cost $5.00 per gallon and $15.00 per 5 gallons.

By the way if your a vetran Lowes gives a discount when you tell them you want a vetrans discount.I told them at Home Depot the other day I wanted a vetrans discount. They asked if Lowes was giving them and I told them yes did they want to see the recipt from just miniutes ago so they gave me the discount also.
    With Home Depot it has just started. Lowes has been since they built a store across from Home Depot.

:mrgreen: Al

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I buy lots of ooops paint. Ooooops there it is......ooooops there it is...... :Dancing:

7. Charles

Charles New Member

Looks like oops point is the clear winner :)

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Not for me!.....
    I'm a graphic illustrator and color is very important in my life. I won't put up with boring colors in my back yard even if it costs me a few extra bucks. ---Of course, we are only talking two hives here, so I can certainly understand wanting to save on paint if you have to paint like 30 hives. !!
    I'm going in about ten minutes to pick out some nice colors for my two new hives....gonna pick out exactly the colors I want because I'm going to have to look at them for years to come every time I tend to my future bees. :mrgreen:
    It's part of the fun!

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Yup, opps paint is my preference too. And the best color is whatever is available at the lowest cost.

I don't do much painting, but some years, when I'm in SC, I find that I have some time on my hands and so I go to the local builders supply and buy paint and brushes. I paint the hives right on the fourway pallets. I only get to two sides that way, but they do look better. I'll get the other two sides some time in the future.

10. the kid

the kid New Member

last week they had a ad in one of the papers """"" FREE 40 + gals of miss mixed paint ,,, take one take all """
    now if I had 200 hives ( I only need 195 more ) I would have thought about getting them

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Try 696 which includes honey supers with more on the way come spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Grab the paint. Then put in that Christmas list.... :thumbsup:

13. Omie

Omie New Member

Al that is such a beautiful picture with the snow!
    You should make a Christmas card from that.

14. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I use some aint also when I use plain lumber (I love old barn planks). My wife works at Lowe;s, and gets me Valspar that was regular $22-$27 for $5. I cannot complain...That is some good stuff.

15. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Was Our 2007 Christmas card for our bee keeping friends.

16. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Mine must of got lost....... :crybye:

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Finally finished putting three coats of exterior latex on all the outer surfaces of my two new empty hives....4deeps, 2mediums, 2shims, 2bottom boards, 2top covers, 2screen boards, 2slatted boards, 1escape board, and entrance reducers.
    Sheesh! I thought 2 coats would do it, but it still looked blotchy, and three coats looked great. I guess I'll stack them tomorrow and take a picture of the 2 beautiful future bee homes. :D

18. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Omie,

That's exactly what I did last year...painted the hives and placed the empty hives in our orchard to see how it "looked" and if they were protected enough. You'd be amazed at all the people who stopped and wanted to see our bees or wanted us to take their bees. :D

Walt

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Omie that still is not enough stuff yet :lol:

You will be surprised at how fast you can fill it up and need more.

G3

20. Omie

Omie New Member

True....but don't I first kinda need some actual bees before it gets in any danger of filling up and needing more? :lol: