painting inhabited hive bodies

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by d.magnitude, Apr 19, 2010.

1. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Hi, I'm new to beekeeping this year. I've just installed nucs into my (white painted) hive bodies about a week ago. Now I kind of wish I had painted them different colors to discourage drifting. Do you think it would be ok to transfer the colonies, frame by frame, into a new hive body painted a different color, or would that be too disturbing? I guess I would then take the original hive bodies home, paint to match, and them take them back to stack on top of the matching colors.

Does this sound like way too much trouble? I guess I could also just paint the 2nd hive bodies before I put them on (and leave the first ones white) so that each colony, for example, would be white/blue, white/green, or white/yellow.

Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If it has been a week or more, they can be transferred to other boxes. If using latex, not oil, paint, you can paint them in place with bees in them, at dusk or dark.

3. rast

rast New Member

Or just a slap of different color paint on the front of each one.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I find if I paint groups of hive bodies different colors when they are assembled you obtain the same end results. That is... each stack of boxes color(s) is unique.

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Unless you consistently use only one color, you'll eventually end up with un-matched hives. Many of us get paint off the bargain rack (mis-tints, returns) and color isn't a big issue. Once you start doing splits, adding honey supers, re-distributing boxes from a dead out, everything gets mixed up.

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Oh just leave them as they are. Make sure they are at least a hive cover apart and every thing will equal them selves out. I have bunches of the same colors in the same bee yard. Well $15.00 for a five gallon pail full of stain is hard to beat any place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mix matching they are all talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:mrgreen: Al