Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have painted the outside panels of the two hives I recently purchased but I was wadering do you paint the top lip of the supers/brooders? Where the two will join together or does it really matter?

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I always paint the edges, paint everything except the inside.

I try to paint the inside of the outer cover also, getting in the cracks, helps to eliminate hiding places for the ants.

G3

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I do paint the top and bottom edges, especially at the corners where I tend to pry with a hive tool.

However, it's the end grain that absorbs most moisture. I also make sure there are extra coats on the vertical edges where the wood end grain is exposed.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
We stain every thing except the insides and even then if it is a hive I have scorched. I'll sand the scorched inside but it seems as though it still isn't clean enough for the girls so we now stain them and no problems.

:mrgreen: Al

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information, I will make sure to get the edges good on the second/third coats.

Is 3 - 4 feet of spacing good enough for two hives? I have built an 18" H X 36 W X 8' L stand to get them up to a workable height.

I can see this turning from a hobby to an obsession!!!

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
For the bees, they can be against each other.
For the beek, I like enough room between them to set the supers while I am working.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hog Wild said:
Thanks for all the information, I will make sure to get the edges good on the second/third coats.

<snip>

I can see this turning from a hobby to an obsession!!!
Yup, you'll get bee fever fast as anything. Next thing you know you'll be dreaming of more hives, more bee yards, more honey, prettier queens, better laying patterns..... :D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Our stands are 18 inches tall. Just right for doing spring and fall inspections. But if you put more than two medium honey supers on it gets to be a pain. I always leave one hive cover spaceing between the hives. I can set a deep on or in the hive cover when doing inspections looking for the queen who I don't want to loose in the grass by hanging a frame on a frame rest and just didn't see the queen before hanging it.
We get 3 hives on a 8 foot stand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts