Painting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Mar 26, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Did I mention that I hate painting?
    I mean, I really hate painting?
    Just finished building 25 inner covers, 15 bee escapes , 20 telescoping covers, 4 more nucs.
    Started priming them and have almost got them done, my back is sore, I'm sick of it, and I have to go back and give them all two coats of paint when they're finally dry!
    I actually think those end bars I'm half done with :frustrated: are looking pretty good about now!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Why would you paint inner covers and bee escapes? I've never seen either painted.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

PerryBee, i'm with you man, i hate painting also. I can build things in the shop for weeks at a time and be content and happy,but dread painting part. :roll: Jack

PS. My wife burns the clothes i've painted in. :mrgreen:

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I hate the painting too.
    I'm about to repaint everything pine/spruce green to help camouflage it from the neighbors better, plus paint my new nucs and boxes... and I'm not looking forward to it. :(

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Iddee:
    I only paint the rims on my inner covers and bee escapes to help protect them from weather.
    Actually the only reason I paint the escapes at all is that I try and colour code everything. Hives are yellow and green, the escapes get a coat of red, my comb honey supers are purple, pollen traps blue, etc. that way I can tell at a glance or a drive by what is where. Also if I ever actually talk someone into helping me I can say "get me one of those red thingys" or "empty out the drawer from that blue thingy".
    I have a lot of thingy's in my setup! :mrgreen:

P.S.- Omie, I gotta ask, is that an actual picture of you on your avatar? If so, what was the occasion?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Jeez, after reading my own post, it sounds like I am actually kind of organized when in reality I am probably anything but! :lol:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yeah, mine are color coded, too. White is bee stuff. :thumbsup: :D :D

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

A fellow bee club member shared this painting tip with me. She hangs what she is painting so that she can get all surfaces in one painting. I thought that was clever, as I have to admit that I thought a piece of woodenware was completed painted only to realize(at the last minute) that it had an unpainted side. She didn't share all the details, but I think everyone can imagine how that might work for them.
    Omie-I guess that would work half of the year ;)

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Why is that? The hives are sitting in front of a giant row of spruce trees. The spruce trees are the same color all year. :confused:
    In fact, I brought a little sprig of spruce with me to the paint store so i could match the color better!

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'm guessing that she didn't realize they were up against a row of spruce and that they would stand out in the snow. :oops:

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Exactly. I was under the assumption that your location receives a great deal of snow. I'll go to my room now.

12. Omie

Omie New Member

We do get a lot of snow, but at any given time even with heavy snow, the spruce branches are still shady green under their snow loads and the dark green hives will blend in nicely- it's not out in the open fields, so it does the trick.
    I noticed this winter that when my hives were wrapped in black roofing paper, they were just about invisible in front of the big spruces. Spruce green will work well! :)

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I also hate to paint and therefore I now dip....

14. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

This may be nothing new, but this year I stacked all my hive bodies & supers about 7-9 high and painted them with a roller (hitting the handholds w/ a brush). It made pretty quick work of it, and I was able to get all 4 sides without having to flip anything.

While we're on the subject of painting. How do you guys feel about painting the top and bottom edge of supers? Preserves better? Causes more sticking? The rims of my first hives were painted, and they seemed to stick a bit (without the help of propolis).

-Dan

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I do paint the top and bottom edges and it is a real pain. You have to make sure they are good and dry before stacking them, at least a few days or they will stick for sure. Sometimes I wonder why I bother, after a couple of seasons you would be hard pressed to find any paint left on the edges after any scraping or propolizing but I guess I just want to make them last as long as possible.

16. kodiak

kodiak New Member

I too hate the painting part, and "YAAAA!" I get to start in the morning. I think I will stack and use a roller. That should speed things up.

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Spending hours today repainting all my hive boxes and covers, shims, BB's, etc.

Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Omie, don't hold back now, tell us how you REALLY feel :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

19. Omie

Omie New Member

Actually, I shouldn't complain. At least I have hives to paint!

Got most of it done today. Note to self- always try to paint stuff set up on a table. Much easier than laying it out on the driveway on the ground and bending over it!

Nice pine/spruce green! Much more 'under the radar' now. :cool:
    Now all that's left is to swap the painted components and boxes out next week on my live hive, and then paint that hive's stuff along with 5 little pine nucs. Then I'll be done! :thumbsup: