Para moth crystals and SHB larva

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Oct 2, 2009.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have just now begining to see shb's :cry: . I found them on some extracted supers (3 to 5 shb's) and around 20 in a deadout hive. My question is if i store the drawn comb supers with para moth crystals will it kill the shb larva when it hatches out? I have read or heard that it would, i know it kills wax moth. :confused: . Jack

2. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

I dont know about the crystals.

If there are shb eggs on the frames (and you may not be able to see or find them, then relying on something you have only heard about suggests to me that it would mean taking steps that are known about to prevent any eggs hatching into larva and doing damage.

Freezing for at least 24 hours will kill all stages of the shb life cycle and would be doing that before putting your frames into storage.

Mick

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

guessing for sure... since the moth crystals starves any life form for air anything that breathes would be affected.

I guess you could always catch one, put it in a sealed jar and add one crystal and see what happpens.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The reason i'm asking is that last year i had 10 full (med.) honey supers from deadouts, that i stored in an out building with para mouth crystals and never had a problem. I never seen any shb last year(08) but seen some this year in Aug. and was wondering if i might of had shb and just didn't see them and the crystals worked or maybe i was just lucky? Shb is something i've not had to deal with until now so i'm looking at all post on shb. Thanks for any info. Jack

5. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

The moral of the story BBF is if you see one shb, you have them in spades.

Deal with your supers and honey as though they are rampant in your apiary because if you have seen them there will be plenty that you wont have seen

Mick

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as I think Mick was suggesting to some degree the shb are like mice... if you see one you have ten.

at some point if you got'em you need to learn to deal with them. my current technique for dealing with the little buggers is fire or ice.

a few pointers 1) don't store any equipment with any form of feed and most especially no pollen* 2) when found to have decimated a hive DO NOT dump** what remains out on the ground and 3) be extemely careful of moving frames from weak hives to anything without first freezing the frames for 24 hours.

*pollen seems to be the prime cause for their rapid expansion in numbers within the hive. they may sip a bit of the sweet stuff from time to time but their explosive reproductive capabilities seems to centered around available pollen stores.

**since the shb can and often does pupate in the ground dumping what remains from a dead out is seeding the next generation of shb. I now carry a iron pot and either lighter fuel or denatured alcohol to deal with the little nasties when they have gotten to that point.

mr freeman (I think????) in one of those articles in the bee journal suggested that the winter time is the best opportunity for dealing with the shb. this year it is my intention of proactively trapping out the shb this winter primarily by using a trap developed by fatbeeman (my neighbors to the south tried these last year and said they seem to provide some relief from the pest)..

7. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

From my experience this winter past the beetle were no where near as active as last summer and certainly this spring is shaping up to be full on shb management even though I had traps on all winter.

I believe that fatbeeman's coreflute traps are worth using. I didn't have much luck with them as I was using a coreflute that I think was too small. Will have another go with larger coreflute

Mick

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

slickmick writes:
    I believe that fatbeeman's coreflute traps are worth using. I didn't have much luck with them as I was using a coreflute that I think was too small. Will have another go with larger coreflute.

tecumseh:
    I had earlier this year forwarded fatbeeman's video to one of the proprietor of bweaver and they (she) reported that it was somewhat successful as a trap (I think they primarily used them in and around their baby nuc yards).

since the 'coreflute' are small perhaps you could post some description of what is too small (or the proper dimension).

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

What kind of bait do you use in shb traps? I've heard banana peel's and something else, don't remember. Jack

10. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Techumseh, I will get on to this and measure things up when I get home at the end of the month

Mick