Parra moth Question?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by alleyyooper, Sep 28, 2009.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Para-Moth® is used to control wax moths in stored supers. Place 3 oz. (6 tablespoons) on a paper plate and place on top bars of uppermost super. Stack 5 deep supers or 9 shallow supers and cover with a tarp. Do not use in the hive or with cut comb honey or unextracted combs of honey.

What can be used to keep wax moths out of extracted honey supers? Way to many to freeze like I use to when i just had ten boxes.

:mrgreen: Al

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Keep brood out of your supers. That really helps.

I stack them outside under an overhang where the sun or light get too them. Never had much of a problem. Once freeze rolls around, no need to worry till next year. So whatever you do, it only is for a few more weeks. Can you hang on for awhile more?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

alley yooper writes:
    Stack 5 deep supers or 9 shallow supers and cover with a tarp.

tecumseh:
    I would have suggested you need to wrap TIGHTLY with tarp or plastic drop cloth. Then restack (to add more crystals) about ever 45 to 60 days during the active moth season. The tighter the tarp/drop cloth covering the less often you will need to reapply the product. The more southernly you are the larger and longer the active wax moth season will be for ya'. Here (in central Texas) we have moth present 12 months of the year.... they are a problem of concern about half the year.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

"Stack 5 deep supers or 9 shallow supers and cover with a tarp."

The above was a quote from the catalog.

I used to place them in the frezzer for 24 hours then stack and wrap with cling type wrap in sixs.
    could move six at a time with out worry of them seperating and falling all over the place. Six in a stack also fits under the cap of my pick up for transport to out yards.

:mrgreen: Al

6. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

I'm using the freezer idea before I store them for winter. I wonder if I need crystals too at this point. ...Here in Van Zandt county, it can get pretty cold at times in the winter, so maybe moths will be so prevalent.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

In my prior post lil' willie I was trying to make the point that the tighter the wrappeing and the less you allowed air flow thru the stack the longer you would expect the interval between unstacking and replacement of the paramoth crystals. a tight wrap simply means the fumes from paramoth last longer.

at you location if you have effectively killed whatever might be in store supers up to this time you should have no problem until march or april (which is typically when I starting putting super back on anyway). the attractiveness of honey super to wax moth or shb is somewhat to highly dependent on if you allowed the girls to clean them up prior to storage. a 'wet' super (meaning it is still sticky from honey) is quite attractive to a host of nasties. and as bjorn suggest if you don't allow brooding in the super this also exclude another attractant to the wax moth specifically.

personally I don't like paramoth very much and do try to limit it's use however possible.

8. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Yet again I must humbly thank you , tecumseh. You are a firstclass act. :hi:

9. larry tate

larry tate New Member

How is the best way to get pollen out of the frames you want to store? The bees will not clean it out if some is coming in which is most of the time here. Thanks for any info.