Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not a big thing I am pretty happy

Passed the exam part, now have to do the practical in September.

Bees arrive second week of April, and have been lucky enough to get some hands on through my mentor, which has given me great confidence before my bees arrive.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Congrats....

Would love to see apiary pics you take in the next 12 days. Try to visit a few if possible.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have asked my dad to set up some appointments for me, he knows of two places close to his home.

I am going to be interested how wild these Southern African bees are going to be

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Please explain. There seems to be some dangling ends here.

the exam for being a 'certified bee keeper' is the path to becoming a master beekeeper? what does being a 'certified' bee keeper mean?

what is this talk of South African bees?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I head out to see my dad later this morning , he lives in the Southern part of South Africa along the coast in a small town called Sedgefield, where the Apis Mellifera Capensis is native.
Unique in that the workers can clone themselves if a queen dies, and thus raise a new queen. But nature is still in control , as they lay like crazy and will drop up to 20 eggs in one cell , a new queen sorts that out quickly.

Yep first step to Master beekeeper....

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
congrats Zulu, I know you studied hard for it!!

Be careful in your travels and like Iddee said we need pics.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Click on the link in Tia's post and you can read about it. It is for NC only, by the NC beekeepers association.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a 'well done' Zulu is in order and thank ya' Tia for the link.

I am headed in a few minutes to our clubs annual B school. It should be a very nice but hectic day.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Any time, tecumseh. I'm always pleased to promote bees and beekeeping any way I can! Here in my "old age," much to my amazement, bees and beekeeping have become my passion.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Congratulations Zulu, i'm glad tec. ask the question because i didn't have a clue either what the big deal was. :confused: and thank you to Tia. :thumbsup: Jack

·
Registered
347 Posts
Congratulations!

I can't to wait to read the posts you will have about the South African bees. Please do take pictures and share!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Jack and Mil, the NC State Beekeepers Association's Master Beekeeper Program is fun if you're as fanatical about bees as I am! Right now I'm giving the beeginners course at the Down East Library and our extension agent, Anne Edwards, is giving it at the other end of the county at the extension offices. It is a great encouragement to beginning beekeepers and a great recruitment tool for finding folks who would like to take up beekeeping.

Lots of State Beekeeping Associations do this. . .I know EAS has one, too. If you're interested in taking the course, look around. I'm sure there's someone near you who is conducting a similar project.

·
Registered
978 Posts
As far as the Southern African bees are concerned, those are Cape bees, and they can and do wipe out normal european honey bees as well as africanized honey bees. Hopefully none will make their way to America anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts