Patties vs frames of Pollen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Feb 27, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I usually try to pop in a pollen patty aound mid March, quickly lifting up the inner covers, sliding them in and closing things up. This year however, I have a bunch of frames covered in pollen that are not moldy or anything, sitting in my basement. Would the bees be better off with these frames if it warms up enough for me to remove and replace a frame or two, or would the patties be right where they need them with a lot less disruption? How easy is it for the bees to use the pollen in the frames after it has sat for any length of time? Would I be better off saving these frames for nucs or splits?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They would be much better than patties if you could get one beside the brood nest.

When making splits and nucs, there will be sufficient pollen coming in.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I know a lot of people say feed pollen,feed pollen.

However pollen does lose its food value rather quickly, read a article recently, I believe in " The Hive and The Honey Bees " that bees prefer pollen sub to year old pollen.

Well that's the way I read it.

Murrell

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

if i was to feed pollen i would feed them the frames before the patties. What I have found in our area is pollen patties are for the most part not needed. They start bringing in pollen way before the flow starts. So most around here may feed syrup to kick the hive in gear about the time we start seeing pollen come in which will be in a couple of weeks if all goes well

5. SmithN

SmithN New Member

My girls are already bringing in pollen, but I put 1/4 of a pollen patty in each hive just in case they need it.
    Some were on the patties before I closed their hive.

6. rast

rast New Member

I'm kinda like Murrell. I would be concerned about year old bee bread, which is what it is, not pure pollen. I have seen them leave it and take it when cleaning out frames. I still think they know more than we do about their needs, so they would probably just clean it out and dump it if it didn't suit them. Maybe give them both.