Pay it forward!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 31, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Berniecal, a new member on our forum, and I went out and checked some hives last evening. It was a good day for it so we took an hour or so to go through a couple. We went through a boomer, every thing looked OK, quite a few supercedure cups built, probably a dozen or so, middle of the frames but most looked empty as far as I could tell.
    Was trying to find the queen and not having much luck, thinking I must have missed her (and embarassing myself) when sure enough, there she was on frame #19 (isn't that always the way).
    Closed the hive up (mental note, needs room).
    Went into the next hive that I knew was weak, only 6 to 8 frames of bees, it could really use some help (mental note, shift some brood from the hive next to it that we just went through :thumbsup: ).
    Was looking for the queen when Bernie suddenly said there she is! Bernie had a camera so he took a shot of her, surrounded by that floret pattern of bees facing her. You can see eggs in some of the empty cells around her as well.
    As far as I know, this was Bernie's first time going through a hive and he did it with flying colours, finding the queen before I did :oops: .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy going through a hive with somebody new and just learning, probably more than they do! :mrgreen:

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Re: Pat it forward!

Nice! I'm always excited when i see my queens! :Dancing:

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

:coolphotos: Nice closeup Perry

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good pics and great mentoring :thumbsup:

I would have just swapped places with the two hives.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

g3 beat me to the punch. I would swap the to hives moving them to the others position in the middle of the day when the bees are out foraging. thats a quick way to even out the numbers and give them a biger boost quicker. nice queen pic

6. milapostol

milapostol New Member

May I add to the praise of the nice pics, especially the queen? And it's especially nice that you are helping to mentor a new beek.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nice looking queen. looks like a keeper and I would guess by looking at the back edges of her wings fairly young.

next Perry you need to learn to catch the queen and give her a dab of paint. this will make finding her next time much easier.

I would suggest that moving hive locations is easy when the hives are small. moving brood (which you seem to suggest was you thinking) make more sense when either hive is large.

8. Berniecal

Berniecal New Member

Thanks Perry, for a fascinating hive visit. You can study the books but there really is no better way to learn than the real practical activity, where the bee life cycle stages can be seen in all their wriggling glory. Actually seeing the eggs, larvae, pupae, workers, drones, and then Her Most Royal Highness Herself, is worth weeks of book study.
    I have been reading in the forum for a couple of weeks now and it's clear there are a bunch of good people here, glued together by a passion for the amazing little bee. My 2 new hives are built, and waiting for nucs which I hope to install in a week or two. I'm lucky to be surrounded by mostly wild land, and the bees will be well fed and sheltered, and I hope willing to pay a little rent! :D

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Berniecal and welcome to the forum :wave:

You are right about this being the good people here, just plain hard to beat.

Hope you hang around and don't be shy with any questions you might have.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Berniecal writes:
    You can study the books but there really is no better way to learn than the real practical activity, where the bee life cycle stages can be seen in all their wriggling glory. Actually seeing the eggs, larvae, pupae, workers, drones, and then Her Most Royal Highness Herself, is worth weeks of book study.

tecumseh:
    I would suggest....reading helps, but practice is essential to hone your bee keeping skills and intuition.

I have been very active in promoting our bee keeping clubs 'bee school', above all else it's purpose is to somewhat reduce the idea of involving yourself with stinging insect. if there is any latent fear here (by the individual) you will not get beyond it by reading something in a book.

11. Tia

Tia New Member

Wonderful! I just love mentoring. Not only does it help the "newbee," but I get assistance in lifting those dang heavy boxes! I just worked mine the other day with a newbee who is a natural. She is so deliberate, slow and confident in her manipulations of the hive, she puts me to shame! In any event, it really is very fulfilling work. . .and we're helping promote the honey bee at the same time!

Marvelous shot of the queen. And what a queen! Absolutely gorgeous. Photos like that make me smile.

12. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I can't agree more about the people on this forum. I've been to the other forum and sometimes it gets nasty there. I like it here better.

And welcome to the forum and to the fascinating world of beekeeping!

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

G3 and the Rat:

I took your sage advice on those hives that Berniecal and I went through the other day.
    After switching hive positions, I also swapped 3 full frames of brood to the weaker hive as well, figuring that there would be plenty of returning bees to cover the frames. Sure enough, within minutes there was a traffic jam at the entrance where the strong hive had been. :thumbsup:

I also did something not so smart. Rather than breaking apart the deeps to move them, I just leaned over the tops and grabbed the hand holds of the bottom boxes and lifted both in one move. Wasn't sure I could do it (and not sure what possesed me to even try).
    :dash1:
    (Mental note to self, don't ever do that again!)

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep I have also done that Perry, bad part was the bottom board fell off, geez now what is a fella to do, mad bees stinging ya and can't sit the hive down either. Grin and bear it.

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

G3, be thankful......................................That you weren't in loose leg shorts.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Never happen, my legs don't usually see sunshine but one week out of the year, when we go on vacation.

Can you say white meat :lol: :lol: