percentage moisture

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by afss, Mar 12, 2011.

1. afss

afss New Member

its been awhile since high school chemistry so i have been trying to wrap my head around this one. i think i know the right answer but want to see what others have to say

if i have 100 pounds of honey at 18.0% moisture content do i have :confused:

a) 98.0 pounds at 16%

b) 88.9 pounds at 16 %

c) neither and some other value?

:drinks:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

wow that ones way out there for me. I never took chemistry but my thinking would be the moisture content should be the same no mater what the weight unless there is several different supers in the same bucket at different levels containing a different moisture content

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Since the 2% of the total that was removed would weigh less than each 2% of the remaining ingredients, I would think you would have more than 98 lb. remaining.

4. afss

afss New Member

yeah, but say you start with 100lbs at 18% so thats the moisture content. to get to 16% i don't think its just 2% in the difference if i am right.

100lb ,,,,, X
    ------- = -------
    18 ,,,,,,, 16

(imagine the , are spaces.. it wouldn't show up right with out them)

same as

X = (100/18) *16 = 88 lbs

I am sure its not completely linear like that either otherwise if you went to 0% moisture there would be no weight.... only reason i ask is my honey the last few years has been in the 16% range and people really like how thick it is... just curious as to how much volume/weight i am losing by allowing it to get that low.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Is the 16% and 18% by volume or by weight?