Permacomb

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Anybody have any thoughts on permacomb? Ever used it? Like it? Hate it? Would like the burn the person that thought up the concept at the stake?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

bullseye bill swears by it. he runs it on about a 100 hives. I have tried it but I prefer the good ole wax foundation and let them build there own the old fashion way.

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I would not give 35 cents for even one box car load of the stuff. I'll take wood frames and real wax foundation any day of the week.

:mrgreen: Al

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

The one reason I'm considering it is that I've figured out a way that I could leave my day job 2 years earlier than my current plan in order to move into commercial beekeeping... IF I had drawn comb... which I don't. Permacomb, IF it works (which I'm not convinced it does), would let me do it anyway though. So I'm just kinda mulling over the idea.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I used mine in the honey supers. They one thing I didnt like is if they didnt draw wax out past the frame you have to have a honey punch to uncap the frame. Which took twice as long as i could have done it with regular comb. Bill was talking to me the other day he is fighting shb. I wouldnt think there would be a problem with them but there still is

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think they might make good fire starters, although they may be a bit smelly when burning.

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

See, that's what worries me Iddee... I've heard so many people express similar sentiments... I'm just not sure that's a good way to jump into it, even if it meant I could jump in a few years faster... a few years faster with five times the headaches isn't the way I want to do it.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Look in the classifieds of ABJ and Bee Culture. Sometimes you can buy a hundred boxes of drawn comb cheaper than you could buy the new empty boxes and frames.

9. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

You can also buy lots of sugar and whatever foundation you want and then you know what you're getting.

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Trouble with that Iddee is that I'd need it at a specific time... and I can't guarantee they'll be available in January. It's also not going to be feasable to have the bees draw their own the way I was looking at doing it...

Basically, what I was considering doing was taking out a short-term business loan, buying new hive equipment for 1,000 hives and assembling it in a rented warehouse in CA, then having 1,000 ten pound Australian packages delivered to me in mid-January. Then install the packages right there in the almond orchard... and selling all but one semi-truck-load of hives at the end of the almond bloom. If I used the TAEP grant program I can get reimbursed for 30% of the equipment costs and 50% of the package bee costs... so that combined with the pollination contract payment should be enough to repay the loan... then by selling all but one semi-truck load I'd have my operating costs for that year covered and be able to come back to TN (or head up to OR blueberries and WA apples) with 1 semi-truckload of bees... granted they'll be crappy Australian bees which will have a VERY hard time adjusting to my chem free, hands-off management style, so lots would die and only a few would survive, but I could do that for several years to build up enough survivor stock to not need to do that in the future. That would let me make the jump into beekeeping full-time a full two years ahead of my current plan and with far less up front, out of pocket expenses.

Anyway, I think my problem would be in selling them on permacomb (might be hard to find a buyer, and might not get as good a price), and in securing high enough pollination fees for newly installed packages to cover the costs in conjunction with the grant money.

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

boy talk about rolling the dice. Sounds like you got a plan that would work in a perfect world. Bee keeping is farming and farming is a risky business. Putting bees on permacomb at that scale would be very expensive. I have not heard of 10lb packages of bees. Guess im out of the loop on this one. Anyhow you got a plan and its those that take a chance that sometimes see a big pay off.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My biggest worry there would be the regulars cutting out the newcomer. No almond contract and waiting like vultures until the newcomer sells out at 20.00 a hive for enough money to get home.

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It would definately require lining up the sellers, buyers and pollination contracts ahead of time... but that's do-able.

14. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Instead of going for honey production right now go for drawn comb although deeps do provide a lot of drawn comb and honey.
    Don't use shallows or mediums just use deeps whena flow is on and the girls will draw the comb on wax fast.

Can't burn that plastic crap. It causes horriable air pollation and smells up the neighbour hood some thing awful and your neighbours may want to shoot you.

:mrgreen: Al