Permethrin

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

I always read labels, and as a new Beek I bought some Guard Star to treat the area around my hives.

40% Permethrin , hmmm , many many products use Permethrin, which is the synthetic version of Pyrethrum which is a plant based insecticide from Chrysanthemums. The synthetic is better because of longer residual benefit.

Lets do the math, a 4oz bottle of Guard Star mixes 23 Gallons or 5.75 Gallons /oz at 40% strength. The 23 gallons from 4oz treats the ground around 6 hives. So about 3.8 Gallons mix per hive. ( 1:1840 dose)

Tractor supply sells a 32 oz bottle of 10%, used for fly control in Stables... so we will need 4 oz for 5.75 gallons for same strength, but the bottle has 32 oz ... and only sells for $17 , gives me 12 hives of treatment. Or Dble what Guard Star will for LESS money....

Ok so now I look further , many products out there at 38% strength, Tenguard, Dragnet, Permethrin SFR, These are even cheaper per dose.

So while I hate to knock our own industry's products , we have many cheaper options for the exact same benefit

2. Tia

Tia New Member

That is if you want to drench the ground with chemicals. It might be a bit more expensive, but I like to use beneficial nematodes. They do the same job--maybe better--and it takes no more effort to apply them than it does a drench. And the application lasts for about 4 years. Just a suggestion.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Tia pls tell me more. First I have heard of a nematode to kill shb lava

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    So while I hate to knock our own industry's products , we have many cheaper options for the exact same benefit

tecumseh:
    I would suggest first that 'the benefits' and 'the cost' are not that easy to calculate (no matter who's calculator you use).

from the get go (but usually performed in a backward fashion) you need to consider 'the approximate' vs 'the ultimate' consequence of any singular course of action. there are many 'options' (Tia suggest just one) that will get you the same 'approximate' results (kill them little buggers) without 'the ultimate' cost (like polluting your ground water from some water soluble insecticide).

5. Tia

Tia New Member

Zulu, http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=5000. I first bought them to get rid of squash vine borers (which they did); then I started using them throughout my vegetable garden; then, since the beeyard abutts the vegetable garden, I thought, "What the heck." These, in concert with my chickens, seem to be keeping the larva from growing into adult beetles. Hope it works for you, too!