Persistence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, May 14, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have this tattered,old piece of newspaper clipping that I have carried in my wallet for at least 15 years, thought I would share it.

Persistence
    Nothing else can take its place

Calvin Coolidge once spoke these words of wisdom to his nation:
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
    Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
    Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

I wonder how many of you would think this is still a valuable observation?
    Interested to hear your thoughts.

2. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Very interesting. We've all heard that Col. Sanders failed at a ton of stuff in life and only started with chicken in his forties, and even then he got turned down over a hundred times before someone bankrolled his "eleven herbs and spices" thing...

On the other hand, luck plays almost as big a part as talent or persistence. To study the attributes of successful people is like asking old people the secret to long life. You hear everything from, "I smoke and drink every day," to, "One pint of applesauce and a teaspoon of peroxide in my ear every day." But you have to remember that the results are skewed. The pool of people you observe has been reduced to the living. There might have been thousands of people doing applesauce and peroxide that stroked out in their fifties. And when you see those books, "10 Work Habits of the Super Successful," you have to keep in mind that nobody studies the people who failed miserably all their lives who also were intelligent, optimistic, hard working early risers, etc...

For the most part being smart and persistent and gifted in some area will contribute to success, but I wonder if people don't put too much pressure on themselves and forget that plain luck plays a bigger part than we realize? I was in prison with some creative, intelligent Type-A people that, with a different roll of life's dice, might have been successful in the free world.

I don't know, but it is something to think about. Good post.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I applaud your persistent use of your wallet for 15 years! :clapping:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Maybe I'm just real cheap! :wink:
    [​IMG]

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Luck may play a small part, but I have always believed a person makes their own luck. Then uses persistence to advance it.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Coolidge says: "Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    :dash1: How much persistance will it take to get him through the wall.
    Always is a dangerous word. Life and success/ achievement/ accomplishment are more complex than Coolidge's simplification.
    Personally, I put more trust in the help of God (who generally helps those who help themselves and others).

7. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I have always taught that god helps those who help themselves and others. So yes persistence and timing ( luck ) have a lot to do with it. Just take a look at the 28 year kid who started facebook, he could easly be worth more then Bill Gates when he reaches that age and did not really have any of the set backs that the " kings of silicon valley " had .

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Well said, Sir!

9. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by efmesch [​IMG]
    Personally, I put more trust in the help of God (who generally helps those who help themselves and others).

I agree, well said!

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

efmesch:How much persistance will it take to get him through the wall?

Marbees:How much trust in the help of God would take to get him through the same wall?

Without being too phylosophical life success is hard to define, it's rather a mix of hard work, talent,education,persistance, trust in God, luck... and some secret ingredients.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Marbees:How much trust in the help of God would take to get him through the same wall?
    Efmesch: You put the emphasis on the wrong word. No amount of trust will get him through. It's the HELP that does the trick. That help can come with or without trust. We never know when or if we're worthy of the help. But as you say. "succcess is hard to define" so we'll avoid being too philisophical and get back to bees.
    :smile:

12. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

:amen:I quadruple (or whatever it is now :) ) that statement.

People mention luck a lot of times, but along with coincidences...luck is something that I don't believe in.:smile: :wink:

Ed

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Isn't luck where "preparation meets opportunity"? :wink:
    Looking at the clipping, I think I would have to agree that the word that was most poorly used is "alone", probably closely followed by "always". I'm not sure in what context Coolidge used the words.

14. Marbees

Marbees Member

Emphasis on the wrong word? You must heard from my wife :grin:
    Nice thought about when or if we are worthy of the help.
    Shalom my friend.

15. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Any intrusion into the workings of the world would violate the idea of free will for those churches that preach it.
    For those that preach determinism, there would be no reason for God to intrude in the workings of the world, since everything's already been predetermined. I have often thought that it might be nice to believe in a Supernatural Facilitator that could/would suspend the laws of Nature and intercede on my behalf if I just asked nicely enough, but I just can't. I guess I'm just "lucky" that, thanks to the first amendment, it's possible to say what I just said without being tortured and/or burned alive by religious people, as used to be all too common.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

But the 1st amendment does not apply to forums. Both sides can make a light comment on the forum, but if it becomes a discussion, it will be locked.

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:rules: I've said more than enough on the topic--my "lips" are sealed on the issue. Dead end! :grin:

18. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

You'd have to get me pretty drunk to want to debate religion :) My parents raised me to think that politics and religion were never suitable topics of casual conversation and it was rather rude to even bring them up. But they were odd people.......

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

Back to perry’s original post…I live in part by a ‘moral compass’. I like the ‘press on’ part perry….
    If there is a goal in my life I wish to achieve, I press on to attain it, and if you stand in my way, best get out of the way, either you are coming with me, or I will leave you behind, and I mean this in a positive sense. My upbringing was less than desirable, I could have stayed back and been locked in the ‘chains’ of the environment I grew up in for the rest of my natural life. each of us have the free will of choice regardless of our backgrounds, I would perhaps add that whether we are rich or poor, talented or not, educated or not, genius or not, Christian or not, the choices we make everyday determines the course of our paths and the remainder of our very existence going forward, (along with as marbees said ‘some secret ingredients’)and it is what we do with some of those not so good choices that also affects the course of our journey. My ‘philosophy’ on the ‘press on’ is pull yourself up by your own boot straps and move on, or ‘press on’, no one else will do it for you, and it will make you a better, stronger person for it.

We might not get rich, be a star, or a rocket scientist, but it is the effort and determination to achieve a ‘satisfied mind’. I don’t want to come to the end of my life thinking, wish I would have…..:grin:

20. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Now that's a fascinating topic that I'd love to know the answer to. If abusive, chain smoking alcoholic parents have five children, let's just say, and the children all have the same environment growing up, you usually see that one or two of them mimic their parents behavior, one or two are the exact opposite (can't stand smoking and drinking) and one or two are in the middle and don't appear overly affected by their parents' influence one way or another. What was different about each child that the same environment had different effects on each? Some people are born naturally patient, while people like me have to work on it every day, with varying degrees of success. Some people just have to work harder to achieve the same success that falls in other people's laps, so to speak. Hard work, luck, environment, genetics, being either blessed or cursed by one or many gods (depending on your particular cultural/religious beliefs), nepotism, real or imagined discrimination, a combination of all of the above?

It's all way above my pay grade, but interesting to think about.