Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pesticides driving bees from citrus groves to urban areas

CAPE CORAL, Fla. - Homeowners on Southeast 3rd Avenue are relieved to see a huge beehive gone. They say the bees were a bother.
"They are the biggest hives I've ever seen in my life," said Cape Coral resident Colin Venuti.
"It wasn't like a normal bee, he was mad. Got in my hair and then he stung me and it hurt," said neighbor Lavina Sanderson.
Keith Councell, President of the Florida State Beekeepers Association, says he's seeing more bees buzzing out of citrus groves into urban areas.
"The pesticide levels are so high," he said. Councell is talking about pesticides used in groves to fight citrus greening.
"We are not putting bees in citrus groves anymore because they are trying to save their crop and by doing what they need to do would hurt our bees," he said.
Councell says chemicals can even effect their behavior.
"A lot of the chemicals cause the bees to swarm," he said.
According to the Florida Department of Agriculture, Florida's citrus growers and bee keepers are facing serious threats to their livelihoods.
"We are spending more now, protecting our bees from those ailments, then what we ever did before," he said.
This year, a Florida citrus grower paid a $1,500 fine for not properly using pesticides.
Professional bee keepers say they are taking steps to protect their bees from pesticide spraying.
"It's all about communication between the bee keeper and the citrus man," he said.
http://www.winknews.com/Local-Flori...rom-citrus-groves-to-urban-areas#.Un5ODdK1GAg

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
"This year, a Florida citrus grower paid a $1,500 fine for not properly using pesticides."

This does not seem like a significant detterent when you consider the damage it could cause to a beekeepers livelihood. :???:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The grove owner also made a statement previously assuring us they do not consider it significant.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Finding more bees in urban areas? The fact that over the last 15 years beekeeping has become more prevalent in the urban community with peoples wanting to get back to growing their own foods and being more self efficient. This includes bee hives being setup in urban back yards. These swarms that are becoming more prevalent are more likely from the swarming of poorly managed urban hives and from the feral hives established from those colonies, than from bees swarming and exiting the citrus groves as suggested in the story.
But a good job at blaming the citrus growers to bringing attention to the effects that pesticides are having on the bees. The bees are being kept more in semi rural areas of market gardens and hobby farms closer to urban areas and away from the citrus groves.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With new registrations every day, 90 percent of Florida beekeepers are in back yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts