Pesticides, habitat loss, parasites blamed for bee loss

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Beefarmer, May 3, 2013.

1. Beefarmer

Beefarmer New Member

[​IMG]

WASHINGTON -- A new federal report blames a combination of problems for a mysterious and dramatic disappearance of U.S. honeybees since 2006.

The intertwined factors cited include a parasitic mite, multiple viruses, bacteria, poor nutrition, genetics, habitat loss and pesticides.

The multiple causes make it harder to do something about what's called colony collapse disorder, experts say. The disorder has caused as much as one-third of the nation's bees to just disappear each winter since 2006.

Bees, especially honeybees, are needed to pollinate crops.

Cmplete Article Here

Attached Files:

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Beefarmer, I see in the actual article linked to that it stressed the least effect on the bees is considered to be the pesticide effect and the parasite varroa as the most affective yet the banner would perhaps at a quick glance suggest otherwise. Since many people dont get past the headline, my immediate response is to think someone is pushing an agenda rather than balanced appraisal of all the factors; sensationalism!

I think it is sad that we have put ourselves in the position of dependency upon chemical and mechanized agriculture yet have millions of souls with nothing to do in the cities instead of out working the land sustainably. It would be interesting to conjecture on the changes necessary in our political, cultural and economic systems that will be necessary to enable what needs doing to rectify that. In the meantime food will be grown at the lowest cost in the short term even if, or though, it is totally unsustainable in the long term.

There are beekeepers who are doing well while surrounded by heavy users of some of these pesticides in question and some others that have had great losses despite being quite away from major pesticide use. Don't get blinded by narrow focus on one issue when others may be worthy of greater attention.