Pesticides

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by babnik, Jun 22, 2012.

1. babnik

babnik New Member

My hives are situated about 9 metres from a vineyard. I know the farmer, and he's a decent enough guy and has told me that next week he'll be spraying insecticide on his vines. He's going to choose a windless evening, as close to darkness as is possible and he'll let me know beforehand. Is there anything I can do to minimize risk to my bees?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bees don't work grapes very much, so it shouldn't be a problem in late evening with no wind.
    Tell him Thank You and relax.

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

The ideal scenario would be to move the hives prior to spraying (at least 2 miles) and then return them a couple of days later. Drifting may be an issue without moving them.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

babnik,
    iddee is correct, bees don't work grapes, i have a vineyard 1/2 mile from me. if you are concerned, just close them in with hardware cloth.

5. babnik

babnik New Member

Right. I know bees do not work the grapes too much, but they do work the wild flowers (mainly white clover) which grow in between the vines. The farmer has even cut as much of those flowers for me as possible so no residue is left on any flowers, but still. The pesticide is called Karate Zeon, and allegedly has a bee repellent. Apparently he sprayed last year, and I didn't notice any problems although my hives were a little further away, but not enough to make any difference (25 metres instead of 10). Hopefully all will be well. The farmer is very cooperative, and possibly wouldn't even spray, but apparently they are obliged to.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi babnik,
    i just did a quick look up of karate zeon, is this what your farmer is using? here is a link:
    karate zeon
    this has all the bee warnings on it...."This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or residues on blooming crops
    or weeds. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are
    visiting the treatment area."

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Doing that is a pain in the neck, but it's the only real way to avoid the unexpected that one has to be prepared for. :rules: