Petition to stop harmful pesticides

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by m.s., Mar 28, 2011.

1. m.s.

m.s. New Member

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

This has been around before. It's a great way to collect email addresses to sell to spammers.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

I don't feel petitions do much anyway. If one is serious, then get involved directly in the cause rather than just typing in your email address somewhere. And I agree with Iddee about spammers.

4. m.s.

m.s. New Member

Perhaps you are correct. Any where we hand out our email address or sign on as members with it has the potential of harvesting for resale. I've seen one other petition by them awhile back which I never signed. I took some time and looked them up this time round. I'm not going to join the cause myself for other reasons. Here's a wiki on the organization if interested

Thanks for replies!

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thanks for the link. Anything connected to move-on.org, I want to stay at least half an earth away from.

6. m.s.

m.s. New Member

Why is that?

At one time .org was intended for non profit and non commercial organizations only, a top level domain classed right along the likes of .mil .gov .edu. etc that is how I've understood a .org anyway of course things can change. ICANN

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, it's getting too near politics to continue, but let's just say move-on is right up there with acorn.

8. m.s.

m.s. New Member

I'll second that. :-| Once again, thank you for the replies

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an Iddee snip:
    Well, it's getting too near politics to continue, but let's just say move-on is right up there with acorn.

tecumseh:
    and that a fact... or at least that is what Fox News (<pure opinion disguised as news) and Rush (<drug induced opinion disguised as fact) would like some folks to believe is fact.

personally I am in at least in partial agreement with Omie here... petition are worthless unless you have a million or so dollars to donate to some politician or far leaning think tank (<likely another modern day oxymoron), or some well connect political lobbyist (<those folks that make pure graft look legal).

ps... I am not certain why avaaz web site has been connected to either move-on.org or acorn? did I miss something here... did I miss some clue or hint of connection?

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Quote from the wikipedia link above.

The name Avaaz (Persian: ???? ) was derived from the Persian word for 'voice' or 'song'. Avaaz.org was co-founded by ResPublica, an American community of public sector professionals dedicated to promoting good governance, civic virtue and deliberative democracy, and MoveOn.org, an American non-profit progressive public policy advocacy group and political action committee.

In 2008, Canadian minister John Baird labeled Avaaz a "shadowy foreign organization" tied to billionaire activist George Soros.[6] Other conservative Canadians, such as Ezra Levant, [7] have identified Soros as an indirect supporter through MoveOn

11. Omie

Omie New Member

Despite all this political talk, I think M.S. means well...we all want the bee crisis to get better right? Until it is found beyond doubt what exactly is causing CCD we can't really rule anything out completely, nor can we blame it on any one thing without a doubt either.
    In any case, even though i may not think signing petitions does much to help anything, I say "Hi!" to M.S. -and I hope to hear more about your bees! :wave:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, you're right. Thanks, Ms, for posting it. Continue on. Posts are what makes this forum.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I guess i don't understand what's being said hear for sure. :confused: I have bees, and being a truck farmer and cattle farmer, i use fungicides, pesticides and herbicides to control things that get out of hand. In most case it's the user not the chemical that cause the problem. I use pesticides every year that are deadly to bees, and have not lost one hive from pesticide poisoning :thumbsup: I'm not a big fan on using pesticides and chemicals, but some times you don't have any choice. This has a smell of a PETA type thing to me. Jack

14. Walt B

Walt B New Member

PETA...

People Eating Tasty Animals? ;)

Walt

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Good one, Walt B :lol: . That should trip there trigger. :mrgreen: Jack

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I for one (who insist on neither listing too far right nor left) can see the positive side of movements like PETA. But what the heck, I also find 'snips' like this highly (intellectually) amusing.

'In 2008, Canadian minister John Baird labeled Avaaz a "shadowy foreign organization" tied to billionaire activist George Soros.[6] Other conservative Canadians, such as Ezra Levant, [7] have identified Soros as an indirect supporter through MoveOn'

So wikipedia is some kind of authority that ends it's definition with first a rumor and and secondly guilt by association (an association which even 'the source' admit is at best indirect)? This seems to be a fairly common malady of my hard right wing leaning breathren in that they collectively have a difficult time differentiating rumor and gossip from fact and of course association (even of the most indirect kind) gets one labeled as one of THEM (whoever THEM might be on a particular day?).

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Here's my take, worth about two cents...

At least partially due to the current CCD crisis in honeybees and the current decline of many pollinators, the plain fact is that honeybees are having a hard time.
    Due to this, right now there is a huge surge in public interest in honeybees, and a huge surge in people taking up beekeeping as a hobby, along with backyard chicken rearing, organic vegetable 'Victory' gardening, etc.

Yes, many of these hobbiests will fall by the wayside and get out of beekeeping, but there are some who will continue and expand their hive numbers and their knowledge of beekeeping.

People can and do learn. I personally have many friends who are green/treehugger types who have only learned what they know about bees from the recent media articles etc. Yes they tend to believe that 'all pesticides are bad', that commercial BKs are doing damaging things, etc etc. BUT...when I talk to them, I know where they are coming from. They respect me because because I actually HAVE bees. I listen to their views (some of which I agree with, others not), and then I try to widen their knowledge and balance it out a bit by pointing out things they didn't know. They appreciate that I'm not judging them, and they listen. I know they are absorbing what I say, and I try to present the other side of the coin to them. Nothing is ever all black or all white.

We all mean well, we all want bees to do well and be healthy. We all think we are right. I think if we listen to each other and then exchange thoughts without being judgemental or sarcastic, it does a lot more good than either side accusing or ridiculing each other. This goes both ways.

It was only maybe 3 years ago that I was like M.S., completely.
    It was thanks to kind and understanding longtime BKs that I was able to learn enough to expand my views a little more and balance them. I learned more common sense, and I heard the other side of the issues, things that show the situation in its real world complexities, less simplistically than I first believed.
    I'm still very much against pesticides, but I'm more aware of the global need for them now, and I have stopped painting both 'tree huggers' and commercial beeks with too broad a brush.

Everyone had to start out with one hive and only a little knowledge. I credit the kindness and patience of a few older beeks (including some on this forum) with my being able to get past the initial 'fanatic phase' in my beekeeping. They didn't make fun of me or make me feel unwelcome. They are why I'm still around and planning to raise me some queen cells and nucs on my own this year.

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

19. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

:goodpost: Omie, I agree with most of what you said, i don't like using pesticides either.But ,take the resent outbreak of malaria (i believe in Africa) where DDT was band, and people started dying. They started spraying DDT again to kill the mosquito (and probably good insects to) but it saved lives.The same goes for my crops when harmful (devastating) insects start getting the upper hand,i don't have a choice but to use pesticides, or loose my crop. What i don't agree with, is people that don't know anything about farming wanting to ban things that we have to have, to put food on their table and ours. My neighbor that is on the cattlemans Assco. board,(here in Mo.) told me there's a group of environmentalist people that think farmers should put diapers on there cattle :shock: .Okay, i've said enough, i'll go to the back pasture. Jack

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Most folks just do not understand the ways of a farmer. There are things that must be done in order for other things to survive. Sometimes that even means pesticides and meds for the bees.