Phacelia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by agro.weed, Jan 16, 2012.

1. agro.weed

agro.weed New Member

Greetings!

Please, if anyone knows to answer, does Phacelia(Phacelia tanacetifolia) belongs to a Fabaceae family(Pea family)? I'm in a big dilemma :confused: :confused: because here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phacelia it says it belongs to Hydrophyllaceae family, not Fabaceae as I was assured from many sources of information. I need that information for presentation I'm making about honey plants of Fabaceae family(acacia, amorpha, esparcette, etc.) for college.

I would be very thankful if someone is sure what's correct about this to enlighte me.

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I was not familiar with the name, so I looked up photos. I'm no botanist, but this plant looks nothing like a pea flower. They call it "purple tansy" and common tansy is in the Asteraceae family.

From my brief look, it seems to be a good bee flower!

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

It appears that Phacelia tanacetifolia is in the Boraginaceae family. This family includes Borage, Brunnera, and other various trees, shrubs and herbs.
    I obtained some of my information from this site: http://esrp.csustan.edu/vfpc/profiles/PHTA.pdf
    Too bad you can't include this in your report on the Fabaceae family. It looks like a good bee plant and soil conditioner.

4. agro.weed

agro.weed New Member

Thank you guys for a fast response. I'm from Croatia and the problem is that many people on Croatian beekeepers forums writes about Phacelia and claims it's a legume plant from Fabaceae family used also for 'green fertilization' because of presents of Rhizobia bacterium on the root of the plant which is specific for Fabaceae plant family. Even one big domestic seed company one their web site under seed packaging description says 'Phacelia is a legume plant'. They are spreading false informations how its seems....I will definetly move phacelia from my pp presentation ;) (btw: yes, phacelia is a greet bee flower plant and lots of excellent and very tasty honey can be collected from it if it's seeded near the hives)

Anyway, thank you very much bee brothers :thumbsup: and I expect that 2012. is gonna be a year full of honey, not as last few were! :drinks: