Phew, glad that's done.

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by heinleinfan, May 30, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

After....5 hours, 4 splinters, 3 broken nails, 2 sunburned areas and 1 entire roll of heavy duty all weather duct tape, my tomato house is built and peppers and tomatoes are in the ground.

tomato house 026.jpg tomato house 001.jpg

It's not much to look at, but I think it will get the job done. Reason I made my own instead of buying it was because I wanted it to be 4x7 and I couldn't find anything that size pre-made. Also, I wanted it to be easy to take down for the heat of summer (when it's not needed and hail will just beat it up) and for storing over winter.
    And so, I invented my own. I think I know just enough about woodworking and power tools to be dangerous. Heh.

I can take the plastic off and fold that up, undo 5 bolts, loosen the rest, and the frame folds down in on itself. The picture on the right is the bag it fits in when it's folded down. It's the size of two regular pillow cases end to end. I'm going to reinforce the bag with denim (from my husband's old holey jeans) and make a carry strap for it.

Took me about 16 hours all together to make, from drilling the bolt holes to finally tieing it down (it gets windy here) but I tested the take down and put up. Took me 21 minutes to fold down and bag, and then 37 minutes to set back up.

Here's hoping it works!

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

3. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

amazing what duct tape can do :thumbsup:

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I'm missing something for sure, but....
    why does one need to build a house for tomatoes? :confused:

Just put my 20 tomato plants into the ground today too- can't wait!

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Creativity at its best. I have seen some of the coolest stuff, drip irrigation systems, trelliss', all things wacky and wonderful in some of the community I've visited. :thumbsup:

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i am just the beekeeper, mister rbee is the master gardener(does help with the bees when i need it) and does all kinds of 'creative' stuff in our gardens, i just follow directions.....do you use 'row covers'? your pic looks sort of like a 'row cover'......
    also sent me hunting for 6' long large diameter straight tree branches, for some sort of project in one of the gardens.....:confused: (know i was informed but can't remember....gee that sounds more like a guy)....:lol:
    swears by the 'gardeners bible', but so does my mom and some old fashioned gardening.....and when the two of them get together......:grin:

btw, woodworking and power tools are a good thing!

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Heilnline, congrats..That's real cool :cool: (I mean hot) work. Did I see a zipper on the front door? I hope you use it to open the hothouse on warm days. The heat and moisture can build up inside and encourage the growth of plant diseases. If you have any energy left after having worked so hard, you might want to prepare a screening that could cover the entrance when the plastic is open, so that the plants are protected from being atacked by insect pests,
    Hope you enjoy a big beautiful crop. :thumbsup:

10. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Aww shucks, thanks, ya'll. It hasn't fallen down yet, my husband watered last evening while I was icing my hands! :lol:

Omie - The season here is just so short, it's hard to get lots of tomatoes, especially the big ones, unless you extend the season. Our last frost date was just 10 days ago and our first of fall is mid-September. You can use walls of water or a row cover to extend it early (and we usually use a row cover) but then extending it late when they're 6 feet tall is a little harder. So, I wanted a mini-greenhouse to extend it both ways.

Efmesch - I was going to just make a roll up door, but then saw this "tarp zipper" that was a big heavy duty zipper on a long piece of sticky, just pop it on then cut the entrance. So neat! I've got eye bolts with loops of cord to tie it open when it's hot, and to let the pollinators in. There was about 2 feet of leftover zipper and I think I have a pull that will fit it, so I'm going to get that put onto the other end so I'll have plenty of cross breeze. There is also about 2 inches of space between the ground and the bottom on two sides, to constantly let in air. We don't have as many bad bugs here in Colorado to worry about, that's one advantage of it being so darned dry. We let loose ladybugs twice a year in the garden and that keeps nearly everything controlled and we keep some garlic infused soap spray for anything they don't eat.