Philippine native stingless bee

Discussion in 'Mason & other alternative bees' started by Apo Mariano, Oct 5, 2013.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great photos apo and step by step description of what you are doing, and i am enjoying it, thank you!

have a question for you off topic, where are you in the phillipines and were you affected by the typhoon?

2. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

Hi Riverbee,

I'm in mindanao. We rarely have any typhoons here luckily but still it was very sad with what happened in tacloban leyte. Thanks for asking!

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks apo for the reply, i had to look up mindanao on a map to see where you are.
    looking forward to an update on your bait box, and whether you were successful or not.......:grin:

4. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

Hi riverbee,

It's south of the Philippines. I'm still waiting for the swarming period (February-March) but I guess I'll try to place it as early as December.:smile:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi apo, i looked it up and i also just googled images/pictures of mindanao; i have never been to the philippines.

so your swarm time is february-march? my swarm time where i live is late may to june. december here.........well, there's no swarming here in december......:lol: very cold, icy, chilly months for us.
    what are you doing in the in the interim? i had to look back, do you still have a stingless bee colony?

6. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

We are actually at the foot of Mt. Apo the highest peak in the Philippines. There's a lot of bee species here since there are still lots of trees unlike in major cities.

Yes, I still have stingless bees. From two colonies, I now have four in my backyard. :smile: The apis cerana project is just an experiment since it is known to abscond often. My plan is to raise native bee species here in our area. I have a feeling that raising the european bees could hurt/affect the native species living in our area. I feel that I need to do something about our native bees because I'm not seeing a lot of them now as I have years ago.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Good call Apo First it could be hard to find bees guaranteed to be free of all the pests, viruses and disease, affecting the Europien honey bee. They are also not addaped to coping with the threats from native pests in your area.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Apo M, your posts and pictures have been most informative. Your concern for the Asian species of honey bees is admirable. I hope a lot of others follow in your footsteps while you meet with success in all your efforts. Continue to keep us posted on your progress. :grin:

9. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

A question for the cerana boys. I think I read that cerana ventilating bees face in the opposite direction to mellifera. Can anyone clarify ? ---- or should I stop having cheese at supper ? :grin:

10. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

Thank you! Your words means a lot to me.

11. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

Yup that's true! I've also read it from somewhere. That's one difference of the cerana and millefera. So, keep having those cheese, there's nothing wrong with it!:D

12. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great pic apo!
    thanks for sharing it........:grin:

14. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

After talking to an expert in Philippine stingless bee (E.J. Robberts), I've found out that I have two different species of stingless bees. The one I bought from Luzon, Philippines was Trigona Biroi Friese while the local (Mindanao, Philippines) bee is said to be Tetragonula Laeviceps.

Here are the key differences I've observed so far:

1. Hive Entrance
    [​IMG]
    Biroi - Guard bees are scattered on the entrance.

[​IMG]
    Laeviceps - guard bees guard the hole entrance and does not come out.
    - propolis in the entrance are intentionally covered with moss for reasons I still don't know.

2. Egg arrangement
    [​IMG]
    Biroi - eggs arranged in pyramidal form and covered with wax/propolis.

[​IMG]
    Laeviceps - eggs arranged in a mesh structure with web-like propolis to hold it in place.

15. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Thanks Apo for educating us on your native spices of bees. Keep on observing and posting for us.

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

17. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

Honey pots from my tetragonula laeviceps.

[​IMG]

18. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

Stingless bee ready to land
    [​IMG]

Guard bees on duty
    [​IMG]

19. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Nice story Apo---I guess the stingless bees can be as unpredictable as the stinging kind.