piano bench open feeder

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Jan 30, 2012.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i didnt have the material to build hive top feeders for all the hives an i wanted to make sure i kept the bees on building new come an brood....what i did have was an old piano bench i bought for 5 bucks at a yard sale....so i made this open feeder. The seat is also a lid for the inside storrage....i drilled 9 entrance holes an left one side intact...can you also use pollen pattys in a open feeder

Attached Files:

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Looks like you have plenty of capacity!

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you can open feed pollen (I am told). I think perhaps iddee has done this in the past???

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Have you tried this yet? How many dead bees do you have inside the bench? That's a clever use of a piano bench which might otherwise have gone to the junk yard/landfill, but, I'd be concerned about robbing.

How many hives do you have now? If you have three, what if you had taken the bench lid, cut it into three hivetop sized pieces and installed those jars on each hive?

I do think it's clever. Think it up yourself?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I open feed pollen sub, but not real pollen.

I've never had a problem with robbing before the spring flow. Have you?

I also have never had robbing caused by open feeding 100 feet or more away from the hives at any time of the year.

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I have 4 hives now....the benchtop isnt big enuff for that....the gallon jars are about 3'' apart...i did that so id have room on the ends for pattys if i could open feed them....i havent used it yet because i built it last night....posted it when i was done...Rast had mentioned something awhile back on the phone about building a new open feeder an i was sitting on the bench after i took it out of the truck from buying it.....i looked down an said hmmmmmmm.....kept staring at it for a month or two....i needed a feeder now so the gears started smoking an wa la....open feeder...im all about putting things to good use an shade tree enginering ;)

Anybody ever built a feeder trap for trapping bees close to their hive tree if its too far up to get to.....i betcha a five spot i can make it work with that bench after i build the hive top feeders....any takers :|

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Ain't gonna bet on it, but sure am interested in seeing the results. :thumbsup:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Why would you want to? In your area, you can get 50 to 100 complete colonies each year and get paid to take them. Why go to the trouble of trapping foragers only?

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

That was going to be my point too. All you will get is foraging bees, older bees. Which make up a small percentage of all the bees in a colony.

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

well....to be honest im more curious than anything....i'll take bees from anyplace i can get em....after some thought about it tho....i cant controll where the forager bees come from....if i were to set it up at work and take home bees all the time to dump into any week colonys i have....i could be bringing in something ajax cant scrub off and i could be trapping another beeks bees....i dont wanna do that....people arent exactly knocking down my door to pay me to remove bees...yet....but i just bet it wont be long before they are :)

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

its in place an filled to the gills....i cant wait to get home an check it out to see how well, or not well, its working.

Open feeding isnt my first choice so i will be building feeder tops....then i'll have to find a new use for it....hmmmmmm

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

NEW USE......

Cut most of the top out, leaving a lip all the way around.
    Cut a screen to fit in the lid.
    Pack cut-out comb in the jar a set a tray under it.
    Instant feeder and wax melter combo.

13. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Thats a niffty idea Iddee. I like that. You seemed suprised at a NEW USE. Im sure you re-use stuff all the time...dont you ???

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The only surprise is why? I like the present use.

15. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Fire wood?

16. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Stupid question: If you used it as a wax melter as described, how do you get the honey out of the wax?

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The bees will remove it as it drips. It will still work as the feeder it is now, but with honey.

18. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

im sure the wax will seperate from the honey like it does when you melt it in a pot....the screen on top wouldnt close the holes in the side so the bees would be free to ''belly up to the bar'' in the tray below the jars. Iddee beat me to the explanation...now hears a question...could i keep the bench the way it is...get 3 special pickle jars...cut an 1/4'' hardware cloth the lids....spray paint the jars black an just put a tray under it while im not feeding sugar water...duel use the whole shabang

FIRE WOOD ?!?!?!?!? BITE YOUR TOUNGE MAN....it'll be a hundred queen cages before an oil spot ever sees the saw dust....i want my 5 bucks worth :\

19. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I tried the Piano feeder again today. The maple bloom is still going but slowing down and I wouldnt want the porkers to miss a meal :roll: so i put the feed back on it......

[attachment=2:2ghcbavn]my piano feeder.jpg[/attachment:2ghcbavn]

It didnt take long before they found it. Somebody had wondered if the bees would have a problem useing the holes to enter the feeder. I didnt see a problem cause they enter a hole to rob another hive. This is really just controlled robbing right. well heres the answer....

[attachment=1:2ghcbavn]bees entering holes.jpg[/attachment:2ghcbavn]

Once inside they were belly up to the bar :drinks:

[attachment=0:2ghcbavn]bees on the lids.jpg[/attachment:2ghcbavn]

It was late in the day when I feed them. Tomorow they will have all day with it.

Attached Files:

20. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Those are some great pictures! :)