pic of my first honey frame.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by pistolpete, Jul 26, 2012.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I will not be harvesting for another month or so, but I just could not wait and sneaked a frame out of the second brood box (which had no more room for brood). I think it's a thing of beauty. There was just one little corner of drone brood that I broke out. honey frame.jpg

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A thing of beauty!!

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Nice! :thumbsup:

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Whoa. Gorgeous!

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It doesn't get any better, does it? :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'm sure it will be delicious!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

7. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I crushed and strained it, because I am eliminating my wood frames and going to the Pierco plastic ones. I was surprised how easily it all strains out. I guess I'll have to build a solar melter too. The honey is very very light and about as delicious as can be.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Save your frames. You may want to go back to them.

9. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I don't like the way the wax foundation ends up hanging a little wavy. Some of the comb ends up wonky. Did not happen on that frame, but others have holes chewed through and double wide comb on the adjoining frames. I will keep the frames in case I want to try foundationless chunk comb.

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I tried the plactic frames, didn't like them. Just my opinion-some folks like them and some don't. I use wooden frames with Mann Lake RiteCell foundation. Seems like a happy medium. I didn't like the rigidity of the plastic frames. Keep us posted on how they work out for you.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

1. That is what's called a beautiful comb. WOW!
    2. It sounds to me like you are a perfectionist. Perfection is nice to demand of yourself, but you can't demand it of bees--- at least not all the time. Don't think that a "wrinkled" comb is any less beautiful than a perfectly straight one. Just because our shirts tend to get wrinkled, we don't go shirtless (our skin also wrinkles and we can't change that {even though women often try to do that}). All around, frames and foundation have been found to be good--for the bees and the beekeepers and don't think that all the frameless, foundationless honeycombs built by bees are parfect either. Re-read Iddee's post (#8) and take him seriously. :smile:

12. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I can't really argue there efmesh. I actually like the esthetic qualities of the wood frames and wax foundation much better. I don't really have the time to cross wire all my frames, so my plan is to use wood frames and wax foundation in the brood chambers and plastic frames for extracting. A friend of mine has the plastic frames and they are drawn out nearly perfect. The perfectionist part is a job requirement for me, I'm a tile setter.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Do you lay hexagonal tiles too? :thumbsup:

14. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I went wood frames with foundation and wires at 1st then tried wood with rite-cell and been a lover of it since, I use it for brood and honey boxes, and thats a sweat frame of honey you have there gratz on that:thumbsup:

15. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Beautiful worth entering in a state fair of honey competition at A beekeepers meeting. Clean frame, White cappings, full of honey, complete cappings, free of pollen, honey from one Floral source. near perfect.

16. Zeevah

Zeevah New Member

Beautiful! :thumbsup:

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

18. BeeG

BeeG New Member

I agree. I am trying to get them out of my hives. I got hit with SHB and those SHB had the advantage of hiding in those frame crevices. but some people seem to love them. I had nothing but issue with them. when I am done with them who wants them I got 10 deep SC

19. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Beautiful! I just checked my hive today and I have 20 Medium frames that look exactly the same! I added another super since it was all capped honey...

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Efmesch, If you ever decide to write a book on philosophy, I want the first copy! (autographed in person of course) :wink: :thumbsup: