Picked up a swarm...

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by tmrschessie, May 14, 2013.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Got a call yesterday afternoon about 4 PM...police in a town about 50 miles away said they had a customer that was very stressed out with a "clump" of bees on the side of the house. They did not have the persons phone number so I got all my gear together and headed out. When I got to town and found the home, there were several adults and a kid standing by the edge of the street. They all said are you looking for some bees? They are right there....Low and behold they were attached to a peony bush and the weight of them had it on the ground. Got my 10 frame box, and cut several of the stems and put them in. Not sure if I had the Queen, I put the lid on and the rest of the bees started marching in....by dark I had most of the scout bees in. Sealed it up and made the long drive home. Got them set up with water and some feed. Going fishing this morning so will check on them later today. Tom

2. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Nice if they were all that easy. %0 mile yuck!

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

There's not much better than free bees! :D

4. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Checked on them this afternoon and from a distance they appear to be as busy as bees...LOL will not open the box for a week or so, to give them a chance to make it home. Tom

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good job there Tom!! Glad you got them put up and increased your numbers.

I try my best to look around in about a 100 yard radius of the swarm and sometimes you can find where they came from, then you can do a cut out.

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

George, got the whole neighborhood there looking for me. LOL Being in the middle of town some of the neighbors don't want you messing around looking for anything...so will wait on the neighborhood watch...These are the only bees I have. The one swarm from last year did not make it through the winter, and the cut out flew the coop two days after i got them home. Have one trap out to due now so hopefully I will have at least two good colonies going into fall. Tom

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Put a queen excluder between the bottom box and the bottom board. Leave it for a couple of weeks until her majesty settles in. I've never lost a swarm doing this.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

One sign that you got the queen, is when you see workers on the landing board (or what ever you put them in) with there butts up in the air and fanning. They are spreading the queens pheromone around so the bees flying around can find her.Jack

9. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Yep when I put the first couple of batches into the box I noticed them marching into the box. So put a few more cutting in and shook them off. I then put the lid on and the remainder started their march into the box. Good idea about the queen excluder and the bottom board. Will definitely try that from now on. Thanks for the ideas guys. Tom

10. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

The bees are realy going and coming. Not sure what they are going for. Tom

11. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

By the way how long should I keep the opening small? they are really going and coming. Tom

12. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I have a video of that being done Jack. I couldn't get the video to work except via a link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=371219342988351&l=926453862822825490

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great video wayne!
    the only way i know of to insert videos here is to upload them to you tube then embed them here.....:grin:

14. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Well I opened the box today to check on the swarm. I did not see any eggs but did find the queen right off. She appeared good in size and condition. I will let them continue on their own for about 3 weeks and see how they are doing. The foragers were coming in laden with pollen. They are on about 3 1/2 frames. of a 10 frame box.
    The workers were on the outer combs cleaning up the old comb I had given them. I cleaned the bottom of the box to help them along. How does my assessment of the queen and plan of action sound? Tom

P.S. Sorry for the blurry pictures hard to see through the head net and with gloves on...did not know what their temperament was going to be. Did not use any smoke and only had two guard bees buzz me. So if she is or starts laying they should be a good hive of bees.

DSC00376.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Even if the pics may be blurred, her good looks shine through. :grin:
    She also looks like a good layer if she's so totally ignoring you. Nothing like a queen serious about doing her job.

16. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Thank you for the reply. That makes me feel a bit better about this swarm...lol just been a while since I had bees and am relearning it all ...one step at a time, which I have now. Tom

17. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Checked on them again the other day and she is laying eggs and there is some capped brood. Not a lot, but due to the small size of this swarm, I believe they may make it. Tom

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Keep in mind that there can be advantages in working with a small hive, learning as they grow. They are easier to manipulate and quieter---just less likely to produce surplus honey.

19. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Yes good point. But I want them to be strong enough to make it through the winter. That is my main concern. Lost a small colony last year due to the weather and do not relish that again. Tom

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Great Job Tom! I want to see some swarm pics!