Pickles

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Omie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Ok, I am saving up the pickling cucumbers over this past week and I have about 20 in the fridge- a couple more days and I'll have enough to can the first batch of dill pickle spears....my husband can't wait! :Dancing:
    Later I'll make some sweet pickles for ME! then more dill spears for my guy. :p

Last year i made bread&butter sweet pickles slices, and pickled beets:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9fPBEJTqGzw/Srlcv8j6IbI/AAAAAAAACgo/LqU5IGcBNoY/s1600-h/pickles_beets.jpg
    This year I'll skip the beets and pickle some red cabbage with apple slices I think.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My wife plans to make dill cube pickles tomorrow. Along with freezing about 10 lb. of okra and about a dozen green sweet peppers. That is, after canning a dozen or so pints of green beans.

Me, I'm going to be at the NC state bee meeting tomorrow and Friday.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Yes, with your spiffy t shirt on! :thumbsup:

Ok, what are 'cube pickles'- just cut into cubes instead of slices or spears?

My husband is an avid seeker of pickled okra- we have to drive to special markets to find it and stock up! I used to grow okra in Puerto Rico, but I don't have enough garden space for it here- you need a lot of it at once to make the pickling/canning effort worth while.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My wife made pickled okra for years, we now buy it in gallon jugs at Sam'S club cheaper than you can grow and can it.The only difference is, when you make it you know what' in it. :confused: Jack

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Nice looking beets and pickles Omie,hope this years turns out as well as last years,don't forget the pics.

We tried something new this year that's called "Pickle Crisp" made by Ball,and our pickles turned out great and were very crisp and crunchy.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's just dill pickle relish cut into small cubes instead of ground.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When i see the word pickle, it reminds me when we sold cucumbers to the pickle factory. Our field was in the Sac river bottom,someone would rake the vines back to see if there was a big juicy copperhead under it before we done any picking, :eek: then when we we took the cucumbers in they would tell us they were too short or too long, never just right and would dock the price. :confused: One year was enough for us dumb farmers. :mrgreen: Jack

9. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

If you really love your "man" Omie I'd put some okra in next year!!!! I ALWAYS plant okra, its a given!!!! You could probably plant it in w/ the cukes and they would just grow up and over them!!!! When I make pickled okra I put in some hot peppers or it gets eaten too fast!!!! I like to put in green beans and garlic too! I'm about out of relish Jack, if your out and around Alaska this year drop some off!!!! All I've been able to can up here is snow so far!!!!! I am trying to get on a list for a community garden so I can plant next year. I miss my farm!!!!

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

AK. sounds pretty good after today, over 100 F today and supposed to be hotter tomorrow. Several people have told me there garden is cooked. I was lucky last week, got two showers 4 tenths one day and the next day 5 tenths and caught 3 coons in my live traps. They got into the sweetcorn patch ( the ears didn't even have kernels on them yet) one night and i put up a 4 wire electric fence and set my traps. Between wild animals, insects,( Japanese beetles) birds and fungus, it's getting harder to produce veggies. :roll: Jack

11. Omie

Omie New Member

I may have to water my veggie garden today- it's really been hot and dry and the cukes and tomatoes are just setting and getting big now- if I want a good crop of them they'll need some water over the next week or two. Luckily, we have not had a drought here, and my garden is only 20'x40' so that's easy to water.

I start making the dill pickle spears in an hour, and I'll take a couple of photos!
    I'll make some sweet pickle slices maybe next week with the next batch that I pick. My bees are really pollinating the cucumber vines and helping me get lots this year! :)

12. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I've put up 11 qts of "grandma's garlic dills" myself and the plants keep putting them on, of course the bees keep hitting those blooms early every morning.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

14. Omie

Omie New Member

Ok, so i made my first batch of pickles for the year- dill spears. I picked a whole sinkful of pickling cukes and they made about 14 quarts' worth of dill pickle spears. Used up the 12 quart jars I had pretty quickly, and some extra pint jars too.

My husband likes dill spears, I prefer sweet pickles, so when the next batch ripens I'll make a batch of sweet chunk pickles for me. After that, I will need to make some cole slaw from the big heads of red cabbage growing in the garden.

My pickling cucumber vines look like they'll be giving me 2 to 4 more batches equal in size to this one, so I'll need to buy more quart jars and a couple more gallons of vinegar. My bees are doing a great job pollinating the cucumber blossoms- they are buzzing all over them all day long. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looking good, hard work always taste better than store bought any day!!

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Omie, they make my mouth water. :coolphotos:

17. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

I made some bread and butter slices last week, and as luck would have it, I was a couple of jars short on cukes in that batch. Since I had counted on a full canner, I had made a full recipe of vinegar and spices.

Not wanting to throw out the liquid, I glanced in the fridge at the half dozen squash I was going to freeze that afternoon. Hmmm...I said to myself. Yep, I sliced those squash, threw them in the hot jars with the vinegar and processed them right along with the cucumbers.

Everyone I have shared with has eaten an entire pint jar at one sitting!

18. Omie

Omie New Member

Ladyleo, that's a great idea! I'm sure lots of picklers have done just that, so as not to waste anything. I have some extra pickling solution in the fridge right now, saving it from the last session, and will add it to the new batch. Other stuff you can use up to pickle when you run out of cukes are cauliflower, hot peppers, and young green beans! :)

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Don't forget about boiled eggs also.

20. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Real nice job on the pickles Omie,you should maybe enter those in the fair,they look like blue ribbon winners to me :thumbsup: .