Pickles

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Omie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Omie

Omie Active Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My wife plans to make dill cube pickles tomorrow. Along with freezing about 10 lb. of okra and about a dozen green sweet peppers. That is, after canning a dozen or so pints of green beans.

Me, I'm going to be at the NC state bee meeting tomorrow and Friday.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My wife made pickled okra for years, we now buy it in gallon jugs at Sam'S club cheaper than you can grow and can it.The only difference is, when you make it you know what' in it. :confused: Jack

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

5. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Nice looking beets and pickles Omie,hope this years turns out as well as last years,don't forget the pics.

We tried something new this year that's called "Pickle Crisp" made by Ball,and our pickles turned out great and were very crisp and crunchy.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's just dill pickle relish cut into small cubes instead of ground.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When i see the word pickle, it reminds me when we sold cucumbers to the pickle factory. Our field was in the Sac river bottom,someone would rake the vines back to see if there was a big juicy copperhead under it before we done any picking, :eek: then when we we took the cucumbers in they would tell us they were too short or too long, never just right and would dock the price. :confused: One year was enough for us dumb farmers. :mrgreen: Jack

8. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

If you really love your "man" Omie I'd put some okra in next year!!!! I ALWAYS plant okra, its a given!!!! You could probably plant it in w/ the cukes and they would just grow up and over them!!!! When I make pickled okra I put in some hot peppers or it gets eaten too fast!!!! I like to put in green beans and garlic too! I'm about out of relish Jack, if your out and around Alaska this year drop some off!!!! All I've been able to can up here is snow so far!!!!! I am trying to get on a list for a community garden so I can plant next year. I miss my farm!!!!

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

AK. sounds pretty good after today, over 100 F today and supposed to be hotter tomorrow. Several people have told me there garden is cooked. I was lucky last week, got two showers 4 tenths one day and the next day 5 tenths and caught 3 coons in my live traps. They got into the sweetcorn patch ( the ears didn't even have kernels on them yet) one night and i put up a 4 wire electric fence and set my traps. Between wild animals, insects,( Japanese beetles) birds and fungus, it's getting harder to produce veggies. :roll: Jack

10. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I've put up 11 qts of "grandma's garlic dills" myself and the plants keep putting them on, of course the bees keep hitting those blooms early every morning.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looking good, hard work always taste better than store bought any day!!

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Omie, they make my mouth water. :coolphotos:

14. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

I made some bread and butter slices last week, and as luck would have it, I was a couple of jars short on cukes in that batch. Since I had counted on a full canner, I had made a full recipe of vinegar and spices.

Not wanting to throw out the liquid, I glanced in the fridge at the half dozen squash I was going to freeze that afternoon. Hmmm...I said to myself. Yep, I sliced those squash, threw them in the hot jars with the vinegar and processed them right along with the cucumbers.

Everyone I have shared with has eaten an entire pint jar at one sitting!

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Don't forget about boiled eggs also.

16. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Real nice job on the pickles Omie,you should maybe enter those in the fair,they look like blue ribbon winners to me :thumbsup: .

17. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

those look wonderful Omie! Me and Baby Beek have been working on watermelon rind pickles, they won't be ready to can until day after tomorrow though. We also have sweet and dill relish to make and dill pickles for XLB, bread and butter for my hubby, and sweet pickle chunks for Baby Beek and Little Man. I love making pickles!

18. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

Mama, can you email me your recipe for watermelon rind pickles? I have always wanted to try a batch (if they are simple) and this year, I planted some vines.

Ormie, thanks for the tip on pickling beans. I have canned all I need (and some for Christmas gifts) so I was wondering what to do with the new ones coming in.

19. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sweet corn pickles well also, especially when you mix it in with the green beans.

20. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Ladyleo, the watermelon pickles are easy enough just time consuming.

Watermelon Rind Pickles
    5lbs watermelon rind
    2 1/2 lbs sugar or 5 cups honey
    2 cups vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar for these but white works too)
    2 cups water
    1/2 Tbs cloves (can substitute 1/2 tsp clove oil)
    1 TBS cinnamon (can sub 1/2 cinnamon oil)

Pare watermelon rin and cut into 2" pieces. Mix 1/2 cup salt with 2 quarts water and soak rind overnight. Drain and rinse well. Drain again. Cook rind in fresh water just until tender. Drain.

Combine vinegar, water, and spices. Bring to a boil and pour over the rind. Allow to stand overnight. In the morning drain syrup and boil several minutes. Pour syrup over rind again. Repeat this step for 3 days.

On the third day cook rind and syrup together for 3 minutes. Pack into jars and water bath for 5 minutes.

I came down with a virus so pickling is on hold a few days now.