Pics of some Nice queen cells

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Yuleluder, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

Posted this on another forum but thought those here would enjoy this...

I created three different Cell builders using various setups. These are from a large colony (4 deeps) which I broke down into 3 nucs and left a single deep in the original position. I placed 8 frames of honey and pollen and one frame of brood along with the cell bars. Most if not all the foragers returned to the original hive position creating a very strong cell builder. These are by far the most well fed cells I have produced yet. The other two cell builders had nicely fed cells but they were at least 3/8" to 1/4" shorter then the cells in the pictures. Take notice to the large amount of royal jelly in the jzbz cell. These pictures were taken at day 11, so the queen is in the pupae stage.

[​IMG]

Look at that excess royal jelly!

[​IMG]
    enjoy

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nice.... Thanks for the post and description.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

nice job Im going to make the jump to producing queens for myself next year. I hope I can do that well and even half as well I would be happy :coolphotos: :goodpost:

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Yes, they are nice. Keep it up. You may just have found a vocation.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

your description of how you set up cell builder is about how I do it here especially as we move away from spring. some of this (for me) is about limiting problems from shb which seem to be a problem with my smaller 5 frame swarm boxes in the warmer weater.

I am not certain how one could determine the quantity of royal jelly from your pictures??? I would guess your reference to day 11 is from the day the egg is laid?

I have never really noticed much difference in the quality of queens here relative to the size of the queen cell. the larger and mis shaped one are much more likely to be duds than the smallish ones as far as I can tell.

6. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

Hey Tec,

If you look at the empty jzbz cells and then compare them to the cells with queens. You can see that the cells are completely full of royal jelly. Its not blatant but if you look closely you can see it.

Yes day 11 is in reference to the day the egg was laid.

These cells really compare to what I have seen from cells where a colony has swarmed.
    I did place these cells in a certain area, so that I can evaluate them over a longer period of time and compare them to other sized cells. I think the size has alot to do with the amount of royal jelly in the cell. For instance if they fill the cell with alot of jelly they will need to build the cell a little longer to accommodate the queens growth. Although I'm sure there has to be a maximum amount that a larva can consume over the larval stage. The rest is consumed by the workers once the queen emerges.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and howdy back to ya' Yuleluder...

I have never used Jzbz cups. I am still stuck in the 'old school' wood dowels and wax cups era... they are just easier for me to manipulate when it comes to putting them in their mating boxes. I will try to look a bit closer next batch at the level of royal jelly. You suggest doing this at about day 11?

do you prime the cells before you graft? I sometime do although the quantity of royal jelly is minimal. I have read that if you really prime the cells heavily with royal jelly the cell are constructed longer.. I think that is what the fellow that raises cells down near Rast does??? he seemed to suggest it was more of a marketing thing (he sell the cells) than anything related to the quality of the mated queen.

8. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

I use the jzbz cups because you can see the royal jelly in the cell. I dont think you can see the jelly with the wax cups, because after the queen emerges the workers will clean up the rest. Usually I look for the jelly the day I go to the pull the cells which is typically day 13 or 14, sometimes earlier depending on my schedule. With the jzbz cells you can look down from the top of the cell after pulling them from the bar to see the jelly.

I do prime the cells but it is usually with whatever is available, either honey or royal jelly. I haven't really seen too much of a difference either way. I prime because it makes it easier to slide the larva off the grafting tool.

9. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Tec, I use the JZBZ cups and really like them. The smoke color and light yellow are the easiest to see the amount of jelly and progress of the larvae. Just a minimal amount of light will let you see right through. Really easy to see "duds" this way. Dadant has started carrying the cups in our area.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

The fellow behind JZBZ is quite the innovator. I can recall reading some articles by the fellow back in the mid 80's in regards to production line nuc making and an almost totally automated honey house that were really quite remarkable. I think perhaps the fellows background was a bit like your own (engineering) before he came to keeping bees. of course the queen cell cups and queen cages came much after this early date.

looking at Yuleluder's picture again closely I can see what he and Tom are referring to... although I just would never have though of that particular angle. quite interesting.

11. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Yuleluder, a couple of questions. How many "rounds" of cells have you (can you) put through this type of cell builder. Did the cells come out of a cell starter or straight from grafting. Thanks in advance.

12. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

Hello Flyman,

This was the first round for this cell builder. I don't know how many rounds I could have used for this builder because I left one cell in it. These cells were placed into this builder right after grafting.

Generally, I see better cells on the second graft of my cell builders, but like I stated in the first post this cell builder was made from a 4 deep colony, which was broken down into 1 deep. Typically my cell builders are four frames inside of a five frame deep nuc, and also shake alot of bees into them. In order to produce nice cells the colony needs alot of nectar/honey resources along with pollen.

This sunday I started two more cell builders. One was created by the method I described in the first post and the other from a strong nuc where I removed the queen. I'm curious to the repeatability of the 4 deep to one deep cell builder. However I know there is not much of anything that is repeatable with bees. ;)

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at some point (I would guess around 10 days) without a queen drone layers should become something of a problem????

14. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Yuleluder, this morning I created a cell builder from the method you described. Used a really strong colony and created 3 nucs from the larvae/egg bearing frames. Only took the nurse bees clinging to these frames and left everything else. Condensed the cell builder down to 1 single box. There are a lot of bees in this box. Will put grafts in this afternoon and see what happens. If nothing else, I made a few really nice nucs.

15. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

Yeah let us know how it works out and I will do the same, hopefully with some nice pics of well fed queen cells, LOL!

16. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

Well the cells from my most recent 4 to 1 deep cell builder did not look nearly as good as the previous one, and there were only 8 cells out of about 50 grafted. The honey flow by all means has ended so that may have well been a factor.

Flyman,

How did your cells turn out?