Pie for breakfast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jb63, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Ok, it's a little before my time so I had to look it up:

I love to have that gal around
    Her bicuits are so nice and brown
    Her pies and cakes beat all the rest
    Cause she makes them all with Mother's Best

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

YES SIR!!!!
    A little before my time too, but the music still beats what they call country nowadays.

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

Well I gotta say, Martha White's over-processed 'white' corn meal makes pretty lousy corn bread. :roll: lol!

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Gunsmith, you are so right. These country music singers nowaday are a joke, wearing those big fancy cowboy hats, boots, and jeans. :lol: Most of them probably never rode a horse and wouldn't know which side to mount it on. Or better yet never seen a horse or cow.They need to come up with another name for there music, it's sure not what they called country when i was growing up and listening to the Grand Ole Opera on Saturday night radio. Jack
    PS. i've had pumpkin pie for breakfast the last two mournings. :thumbsup:

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Music of all generes today is so processed and packaged it's sad. Occasionally I'll watch a late-night talk show and the "musical guests" are really a joke anymore. I think I can count on one hand the new songs I've liked since 1990.

Pie (just so this post won't be completely off-topic) :roll:

6. Omie

Omie Active Member

Well my husband and I don't much listen to music on recordings -except for old dead guys we like to hear. Instead, we usually make our own fiddle/banjo music at home together or with other friends who play too. No processed packaged stuff for us!
    I also like to go to Contra dances with live musicians playing too. Here's what they are like: http://youtu.be/j9L0dz3qmsc
    http://youtu.be/ERdtTVWegCs
    ...always live music, and terrific exercise!!

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Boy Omie, that sure sounds an awful lot like the music from up here, especially the Cape Breton area!

8. Omie

Omie Active Member

Yes Perry, contra dance musicians do like to play lots of Cape Breton tunes!
    But I play mostly southern old-time tunes myself.

9. Arnold

Arnold New Member

Black Beans with Sweet Potatoes
    Even though it goes against my paleolithic viewpoint, I just am not in the mood for eating meat these days. Part is it’s spring and I want lighter fare, part is because I’m very tired thanks to cytomegalovirus and am opting for easy to make things. This uber simple dish has just a handful of ingredients and is done in about 20 minutes. And it’s delicious — sweet, smokey and beany
    Ingredients:
    1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2? cubes
    1T oil/fat for cooking (I used bacon drippings, but olive oil or coconut oil would work well)
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 C BBQ sauce (I like Bone Suckin’ Sauce)
    Tabasco sauce — optional (I like the chipotle one)
    Handful chopped cilantro
    Instructions:
    1. Heat pan over medium heat. When hot, add oil/fat and swirl around. Add sweet potatoes and cook until tender and slightly browned. When done, remove from pan.
    2. Add blackbeans, 1/2 the cilantro, and BBQ sauce to the pan. Cook until heated through. Turn off heat.
    3. To serve: Divide sweet potatoes into 2 bowls followed by BBQ black beans. Sprinkle remaining cilantro on top and eat!

10. brooksbeefarm

Sounds good, but don't forget the Bean-O. :mrgreen: Jack

11. jb63

jb63 New Member

Back in 91 I went elk hunting with a group of guys in the N.E. corner of our state.The rule was everyone had to bring an entree.I brought lasagne but every night was something different.About thurs. Uncle Marrion brings out the world famous 17 bean casserole.I had never had it before and it was really good.I went back for seconds and thirds.As I recall it also had meat and diced potatoes and cheese and gravy.Gravy makes everything twice as good.You can probably guess how many elk we snuck up on the next day[zero].

12. Omie

Omie Active Member

:lol:

Yesterday I made 13 bean soup with ham for my husband and i- he just loves all my soups.
    It was really yummy, but good thing I only had one large bowl...that was enough! :shock:

Bean fans...click if you dare.... http://youtu.be/R6dm9rN6oTs :-o

13. jb63

jb63 New Member

Omie,that's a classic.I had water coming of the corner of my eyes I was laughing so hard.Mostly because that's just how it was,except we were walking through the woods carring rifles instead of sitting by the fire.

14. brooksbeefarm

That was funny Omie, was this your family gathering? which one was you. :lol: Jack

15. Omie

Omie Active Member

Very funny Jack. :cool: :lol:

16. jb63

jb63 New Member

I'm a little disapointed in your retort Omie.I was expecting a bigger explosion.

17. brooksbeefarm

Me to jb63, Omie's a good sport, and it's going to be a long winter. :eek: I'll have to watch out, i've got one coming. :mrgreen: Jack

18. Omie

Omie Active Member

I was in a hurry! lol

19. jb63

jb63 New Member

[​IMG] Merry Christmas,It's cherry pie.

20. jb63

jb63 New Member

Well I thought this thing had run it's course,I mean how much can you talk about eating pie for breakfast?This morning I had some dutch apple pie made with Granny Smith apples.Wow I think I have reached nervana.It's so good. :thumbsup:

Attached Files: