pierced brood cappings

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, May 11, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I noticed in one of my hives, the only not effected by people doing stupid stuff to it, that a few of the sealed brood, have pierced capping. Not a lot, just every now and then across the different frames. Know bees will open diseased cell and eject dead brood, but all things considered, the pupa and mature larvae look fine. Anyone see that and have no issues.
    Barry

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Open several of the cells up and double check the brood.

If nothing looks out of the ordinary with the brood, leave the nurse bees on the frame and sit and watch that capped cell with a hole in it. It might just be that they are capping it, it does take a while for them to do this. You will need to keep a watchful eye on that one particular cell because just when you take your eye off of it it is capped and you missed the whole event.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The only time I would get overly concerned about pierced cappings is if the caps themselves are sunken. It could be nothing more than G3 suggests, they haven't quite got around to completing capping yet, or indeed they have discovered some chilled brood and stopped capping. If the caps are concave or sunken (and pierced) it could be a sign of a more serious issue.