Pig Killing

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Iddee, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The first cold weekend we have had. Killed and quartered 2 and hung the meat. Will cut and wrap tomorrow and/or Monday.

[​IMG]

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Ohh yeah! remember those days.
    Barry

3. Robo

Robo New Member

BACON!!!!!!! :yahoo:

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

None of that in my neck of the woods. ;)

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

;) ;) ;)

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

NOPE, but there are likely foods there that I've never eaten.

Although, with my range of food items, it is probably just because I haven't had the chance. I will eat about anything that doesn't eat me first.
    :shock: :thumbsup: :D

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

How are you about cats and dogs?
    We have farm laborers in the country from Thailand who are experienced in "eliminating" them for protein rich meals. I wont's say what else they are reported to feast on just that some pest species have been suffering a reduction in their numbers.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Wouldn't as a choice for normal living, but can't say for sure I haven't. I have eaten a number of unknown meals in Viet Nam, which also has absolutely no stray cats and dogs.

Also, if there were nothing else around for a few days, watch out fido and kitty tom.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there use to be stories told (lies I am certain :roll: ) a bit south of here in relations to the absence of stray dogs and cat relative to 'the best place in town' to get the best tacos.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

NOT FOR THE SQUEEMISH
    I recall a few years back, there was a plane crash in the Andes mountains---it was feared that all aboard would be dead since the wreck was not found for a very long time. When the remainders were found, several people had surivived---but several others could not be found at all. Only after a while was the truth of their amazing survival exposed. Let's leave it at that.

11. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Howdy efmesch. Yes, there was a book and movie made of the Ande's crash. That was 72 days of survival in a horrid situation. I may be mistaken, but I believe they did account for everyone at the crash site. The decisions involved to eat from the bodies of the dead reveal a lot about human nature *and* the differences between individuals. The accident took place in 1972 and the book and movie were not until sometime afterwards, but books and movies were not as graphically portrayed back then as they are today so both are not too bad to read/watch....movies and books relied more on content back then than they do today.

Another incident was "The Donner Party" back in 1846 out west here in the USA...California. Small party of pioneers traveling to California were stranded by very heavy (10-15 feet?) snow. That was a more "extreme" situation with possibly murder involved. A possible "boogie man" survived and later opened a.....restaurant. :shock:

Ed

12. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

We could post a sticky in the Intro. "This website you will find all types of good useful posts from beekeeping, to pig harvesting, down to eating humans if you are stuck in the mountains." :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Robo

Robo New Member

Being stuck in the mountains is not a criteria for some folks..........................

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

How's this for a return to (vegetarian) sanity?

I LOVE HONEY

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Many years ago around Thanksgiving, all the neighbors (15 to 20) would gather at joe's farm (across the road from me ) bring there hogs for butchering, we set up a assembly line and killed, scraped, gut, and hung 25 to 35 hogs over night and processed them the next day in his use to be, dairy barn made into a butcher shop. With meat saw, chopping blocks, slicers, and meat wraping table. He had a enclosed milk truck bed (junked) with a stove pipe running into it from a wood stove on the outside of it, for smoking hams and bacon.Everyone (but the hogs) had a good time pulling tricks on each other and telling stories. (mostly lies :mrgreen: )All but four of us are gone now, a dying breed. :( Jack

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

brooksbeefarm said: "All but four of us are gone now, a dying breed." :( Jack

Perry responds: "That just makes those of you left all the more valuable to the rest of us Jack!" (especially here!)

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

When I was studying entomology in the University here, I was informed that as far as occupations go, entomologists on average have the longest life expectancy. I'm sure that must include beekeepers, after all, who could qualify better as an entomoligist?
    Jack, keep on for a long long time, if only to prove the point. ;)

18. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

the hogs have slap torn up my propery....had 7 run in front of me the other night.....its bout time to skin an grin }:)

19. jim314

jim314 New Member

Can't say I've eaten any either, but did have a lot of fish and fresh water crabs that would miraculously hatch and grow in ditches during the rainy season.

20. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Iddee, Nice lookin' hog, great setup! Do you make any link sausage out of the guest of honor? If so, mind sharing a little insight on recipe & ratio's?